What's new

Face lather vs. bowl lather

I'm gravitating more towards face-lathering these days rather than doing it in a bowl.

I feel that the brush on the face allows for better exfoliation and an overall better lather. There is also less wastage of creams and you only use exactly the amount of soap that you need. Plus there is one less item to clean up at the end of a shave.

It's a real pity that I just got a really nice hand-thrown earthenware bowl for mixing in. Still, it makes a really nice container for my razors :001_smile

Face lathering works better for me for the following reasons

1. The time spent in the bowl, is spent on my face.....so more time to enjoy the smells, the massage

2. It is easier for me to have the "feel" of how well prepared is my lather

3. I really enjoy how my cream or soap explode into a creamy goodness on my face!!

4. Less equipment used

5. Less overall time needed

Last edited:
Hot lather makes a big difference in how easily whiskers are shaved. It is important to me that hot lather be applied to a spot not too long before shaving. Face lathering doesn't give me this ability. So, I bowl lather, and keep my lather hot with an adjustable heating pad.

Started out bowl lathering, but now find myself face lathering all the time. Just need to get me a face lathering size scuttle and I'll be good to go.

I face lather, mostly because it makes for one less thing to clean up after the shave. It does help on preparing the beard. I feel like when I bowl lather I don't get as good of a shave because my beard isn't as well prepared.

I started out bowl lathering creams. I purchased some soap and about that time, I read about face lathering and have never looked back.

Hi Wim
Sorry...I could "hear" you. Your "voice" sounded like it was coming from the bottom of a bowl!!! :jump::laugh::laugh::biggrin1:

Sorry man...I couldn't resist :001_smile. face lathering is great too...I do both...in fact, combo...It takes me longer, but the prep is amazing. More Zen-like than the actual shave :thumbup:

Cheers,
Robert

What??? Didn't face lather win?
:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

I started out lathering in a bowl but have recently fallen in love with face lathering. There is a HUGE difference for me, I get way better shaves by lathering directly on my face. I don't even need to shower before the shave if I shave in the evening (I shower every morning and don't like showering twice a day).

I bowl lather because I find I get better and more consistent results for lather building. As far as exfoliation, I really don't believe the brush exfoliates much, if there is any action. Just about all of the exfoliation action is done by the razor. Think about it, you're scraping a thin layer of skin off, up to a cubic centimeter's worth in some cases, per shave.

Last edited:
I use a soap 99% of the time , whehen I use a soap ,I face lather. Once in a while , when using a cream , I palm lather .

This is why. The brush is getting adequate time to do its job. You make a perfect lather in a bowl then you tend to get less brush time. I do bowl lather a few creams and leave it a bit dry and finish on the face, sort of a hybrid I guess.

+1 I think by the time you get a great lather in a bowl, some tend to half *** the application process. This is why I face lather: saves a bit of time overall and it feels pretty righteous.

When I started wet shaving every tutorial and video used bowl lathering so of course I used a bowl. But I am active duty military so when I go on deployments I can't exactly lug a mug or a bowl around with me so I figured I'd give face lathering a shot. Now my shave mug sits at home and collects dust! I find that face lathering gives the brush a chance to do what it's intended to do. The brush is the missing ingredient to shaving, it allows great exfoliation around the follicle, lifts the hair, allows the hair time to soften as you build the lather and it feels AMAZING!

When you build lather in a mug the brush only contacts the face to apply the cream... so you spend $100 or more on a brush and it doesn't even get a chance to do anything. Everyone has their preference and mine is face lathering!

~Start regretting you have but only one face to shave!!

Thank you. I personally bowl lather (because I like my lather warm), but I make sure to spend adequate time working it in the face/beard...not just painting it on face (defeats the purpose of the lather...only the bowl gets to enjoy it :lol:).

In fact, I started a thread about this not too long ago getting people's opinion on the exact issue here.

Cheers,
Robert

+1 I think by the time you get a great lather in a bowl, some tend to half *** the application process. This is why I face lather: saves a bit of time overall and it feels pretty righteous.

I'm still working on my face lathering. I find it difficult to get the first pass wet enough without splashing myself, so I currently still prefer bowl lathering.

Vlad,Just wet the tips of your brush if it starts a little to dry.

To th OP, I started out bowl lathering because I bought into the whole "It's easier and you can see what your lather is doing" I even stated that to other newbies but as time has passed, I have found my self face lathering except when I want a warm, scuttle lather. I don't think it's hard at all but mayber thast was because I've gained a little experience. I don't even think about making my lather, I just do it now.

I think it breaks down like this,

If you want speed, less clean up and a great asy lather, FACE lather.

If you want to take your time, enjoy the moment, and or have a warm lather, go for the bowl.

I really don't think one is easier than the other. The first one you try will be the hardest because you're getting the "feel" of making lather.

Top Bottom