What's new

Enjoy what you have!

Compared to others, I've not much shaving hard ware, but a decent amount of quality soap and cream which I use generously, not worrying to make a tub last a year!
This past year hasn't been the best for me, feeling low in spirits now and then.
Shaving has given me great pleasure every day. Feeling the soft brushes filled with superb lather on my face.
I've now stopped searching for better shaving hardware and enjoy the wonderful pieces I've bought. Shavings a true pleasure for me.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Liking what you have is a wonderful place to be. I am a bit of a minimalist (with the possible exception of brushes) and enjoy the same razor every day, often with the same blade, soap, WH and balm. But I'm also way too fussy for my own good and it has taken me many years and a collection of stuff to arrive at my current favorites. And I say current because my favorite brush is a recent purchase - so I'm not really knocking on the door to a zen-like minimalism - just my version. I am sadly saddled with the fact that nothing is too good for me. But life is hard for a lot of us.

But being happy with what you have is the ideal in my book.

Before I joined this board I was a minimalist and thought that most of these guys are weirdos. Now... I'm one of those weirdos :biggrin1:

I think we're afraid to miss out on something, sure my current setup gets me a BBS everytime I shave but I can get a BBS with almost every razor and blade combo. But when I read a review here on a new product I think that the product they're talking about might improve the whole experience. Some soaps smell damn nice like the TOBS soaps, do I really need 6 TOBS creams? Maybe, it's the scent that does it.

I admit there are enablers on this board (yeah looking at YOU mister!!!!), here is a fun story. I used the same setup for a couple years when I didn't visit this board anymore. Recently I decided to visit this forum and post again... I bought 750 wizamet blades, 200 Feathers, 300 Astra SP's, 500 Permasharps, Fatip Gentle Razor, 2 Arko sticks, Cella red soap, Cella green Soap, Cella red aftershave, Cella green aftershave, some Italian AS I forgot it's name, couple new blades to try out.

And what's on my wishlist? Proraso Red 400ml bottle AS, Proraso Green 400ml bottle AS, more blade sampler packs, a new Simpson silver brush, some Acca Kappa soaps and I just realized that I have only 2 shaving bowls! :001_unsur

Buddy just returned from Nicaragua from five day trip, his destination was Estelle, aka big time Cigar - Tobacco producing area. Poverty is what he saw most, working class lives like in something homemade DYI Corrogated Metal like what we call small Tough Shed, not water, no toilet, dirt floors, protection on from wind, rain, and heat.

This people work 6 days a weeks for about $10.00/ day US, don't have iPhones, Raptor Trucks, Designer nothing. Most happy with family.

My buddy said we is USA don't appreciate basic we have like water, and light in home. Toilets, and appliances. Some of us live, and work to acquire more, and more, going deeper in debit.

Four things the almighty dollar will not buy, if you don't know what they are good homework assignment.

Compared to others, I've not much shaving hard ware, but a decent amount of quality soap and cream which I use generously, not worrying to make a tub last a year!
This past year hasn't been the best for me, feeling low in spirits now and then.
Shaving has given me great pleasure every day. Feeling the soft brushes filled with superb lather on my face.
I've now stopped searching for better shaving hardware and enjoy the wonderful pieces I've bought. Shavings a true pleasure for me.
I can relate, brother. Not the best year for me either but shaving does provide me with a few minutes of peace, my Moment of Zen. I've certainly got more razors, blades, soaps and brushes than I'll ever need so I can't complain one bit about that.
Good luck to you.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I am very settled with razors and blades, and mostly settled with soaps and creams

I was settled on brushes for a while, then I finally succumbed and tried badgers. Now, I am not settled at all, and have been on a (rare) spending binge this year. Next year's brush quest is to get settled down and "focussed" with them. Get everything well broken in, and offload those which are surplus to requirements, so I only own brushes that are a real joy to use. To do that, I'm picking just two brushes to use for a month. If there's any I'm bored of by the end of the month, they maybe shouldn't be here. I'm allowing myself the full 12 months to get settled though, rather than make rash decisions and regret them.

Top Bottom