What's new

Dutch Oven Recommendation

I've had a couple lodge cast iron ovens over the years. I would make chilis with tomato sauce and never noticed a problem.

I picked up an enameled lodge dutch oven 2 years ago and use it regularly. It does all I need and I recommend it.

I have the 6-quart Lodge enameled dutch, actually one at the apartment in town and another at the weekend place. Mostly I use them for soups and stews in the winter months. I don't really use them enough to justify having both, or to justify buying a better one.

I have a Lodge enameled and use it quite a bit. Says not to use on the grill, but I use it in my BGE all the time. I would guess direct grilling might pop the enamel, but indirect use, mostly smoking, doesn't seem to bother it. Make killer Italian sausage sandwiches - partially grill some sausage, onion slabs, sliced peppers. Toss them in the dutch over, cover with a red sauce of your choosing. Smoke for about 30 minutes, uncovered to get the smokiness, then put the lid on and go another hour or so until everything is soft and good. Serve up on a hoagie with lots of shredded cheese.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
See if anyone catches the reference

Attachments

• $dh.jpg
    $dh.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 87
I have a 5-1/2 qt Le Creuset that I picked up for my 10-year work anniversary gift (what a lucky find that was in the catalog). Love it, but not sure I'd pick one up if I was paying cash for it. May ask for a smaller Lodge enameled braiser for the holidays.

Le Creuset. Once a year or so it goes on sale or is sold in some secondary stores at discounted prices.

But it once and you will pass it down to your children.

To be honest, I've been using the Aldi (Crofton) enamelled cast iron for a couple of years, and have yet to have one go wrong. At about 10% the price of the Le Creuset equivalent.... I managed to get one other dutch oven (not pictured) second hand, same brand. Still works just fine.

proxy.php

That small one intrigues me ... it looks like about a quart?
Did you get those pieces as a set? Or are they available separately?

I live alone and cook for one, so I look for smaller capacity gear. I could do a lot with a 1~quart dutch oven, but a 5~6 quart would be severe overkill for me. And I don't have a lot of space for storage in my tiny kitchen.

I recently saw a 1.5 quart Lodge enameled dutch oven on Amazon for around $45, but I don't have time to hunt down the link right now. I've never seen that size Lodge, or anything even close to that available in stores.

Legion

Staff member
That small one intrigues me ... it looks like about a quart?
Did you get those pieces as a set? Or are they available separately?

I live alone and cook for one, so I look for smaller capacity gear. I could do a lot with a 1~quart dutch oven, but a 5~6 quart would be severe overkill for me. And I don't have a lot of space for storage in my tiny kitchen.

I recently saw a 1.5 quart Lodge enameled dutch oven on Amazon for around $45, but I don't have time to hunt down the link right now. I've never seen that size Lodge, or anything even close to that available in stores.

I'm metric, so I asked my American girlfriend how much a quart was. She replied "quarter of a gallon". Yeah, big help. :001_rolle

The pot is smaller than that, I think about half a quart, or 500mls. It is for single servings of soup, or soufflé, etc.

I bought them on the same day, but separately. I actually got rid of both pots. The big one was too big, and the small one too small. I found a round one which is in between, and now I use that almost every day.

Last edited:
I picked up several Le Creuset pieces (a couple of sauce pans, a dutch oven, and two sizes of au gratin dishes) at a factory outlet store over 25 years ago. They're factory seconds, but unless you use a magnifying glass to locate a little dimple or discoloration in the enamel coating, you'd never know it. They've all been workhorses and are used regularly. If you can find a good price on a factory second dutch oven, jump on it.

Top Bottom