What's new

Durham Duplex

How many of you have used a Durham Duplex, if you have what was your thoughts on this razor good or bad.

20170810_215627.jpg

Last edited:
How many of you have used a Durham Duflex, if you have what was your thoughts on this razor good or bad.

View attachment 811837

I have a couple and love them. It's Durham Duplex btw...lol!

Make sure you get the blades made for shaving and not carpet- try a blade (a B&B supporter) website has them. Personna blades it even says for Durham Duplex on the site. I think you will be pleased with the shave!

Be sure to post your experience and share with us :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple and love them. It's Durham Duplex btw...lol!

Make sure you get the blades made for shaving and not carpet- try a blade (a B&B supporter) website has them. Personna blades it even says for Durham Duplex on the site. I think you will be pleased with the shave!

Be sure to post your experience and share with us :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Sdm84 just edited it lol, yes I have ordered some Personna blades to give it a try, as its been sat here so I thought give it a go. But yes I will post how I find it. I was very surprised you can still get blades for this.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
@Ice-Man, I have several DURHAM DUPLEX'S and I must say I enjoy the shave provided with the DD. I use mine with the original DURHAM blades those blades were meant to be stropped and when done I find them to be keen and sharp. I have also used the Personna blade but I prefer the original DURHAM blade a little bit more.

Durham Duplex Typology

This thread has your name written all over it. Try it

I have used one and it is truly a safety straight razor. I found the shave very mild and took some learning to get the angle right, but once found I was able to get close and comfortable shaves. I prefer a stiffer blade when using a replaceable blade straight so have since sold it, but it is a fun one to learn.

View attachment 811856 View attachment 811857
@Ice-Man, I have several DURHAM DUPLEX'S and I must say I enjoy the shave provided with the DD. I use mine with the original DURHAM blades those blades were meant to be stropped and when done I find them to be keen and sharp. I have also used the Personna blade but I prefer the original DURHAM blade a little bit more.

Durham Duplex Typology

This thread has your name written all over it. Try it
How do you strop those blades...???

How do you strop those blades...???
Hi MicBP, it’s been quite some time since I’ve posted about my Durham Duplex but if you look at the picture I posted you will see a yellow handled stripper that I use but I also have a Ingersoll stropper that I find is much easier to use with those blades.

okay, can you strop the blades in the razor itsself if you don´t have any of those...???
No.
You need a blade-holder specifically made for stropping.
The one Deelyte shows is probably made by Durham and belongs to a kit.
The company made blade-holders for stropping and put them in deluxe kits, as well as selling them separately.
Here's an ad from 1943 showing a different one from Durham:
Durham strop ad.jpg

The one in the ad actually looks like an Ingersoll stropper, which you may be able to find on ebay.
But be careful. Ingersoll stroppers are not all the same, or universal.
They made a model specifically to fit the Duplex blade, and it can be hard to find.
The most common one sold was for Gillette blades.
You will find the marking for the intended type of blade on the side of the box.
Here's one for Gillette:
Ingersoll box end.jpg

Good luck finding the right blade-holder, sometimes referred to as a stropping handle.

Top Bottom