What's new

Drakkar noir..did formula change?

Hi gang. I always loved and will love this cologne. I was wondering though...has the formula changed throughout the years? I had a bottle of it maybe 2 years ago, that recently finished. I picked up a new one but find a slight change in fragrance. Did it change? Or maybe I'm imagining it? Thanks fab

I recently bought a bottle, having last used in in 1988. I bought it mainly for nostalgic purposes not thinking it would be wearable, but oh my, it's very nice, though maybe a bit dated! It smells exactly like I remember it.

They probably haven't changed in in the last couple years but who knows. Do you not like the new bottle?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I cannot think of a single scent that smells the same, as good, as strong, or lasts as long as the same brand that I wore decades ago. That is mainly due to reformulations, either to remove no longer permitted ingredients or to cut costs, and may also be in part to me ageing and my olfactory sense deteriorating. Either way, after many disappointments and much wasted money, I no longer purchase new scents of any kind, either totally new scents or non original versions of old brands. It is vintage bottles only for me. Anyway, the original Drakkar Noir is an awesome 80s powerhouse, totally out of fashion now and unsuitable for wishy washy scent-free offices, and I love it. The new bottles are, like Kouros and many others, a shadow of the original and barely worth the time of day in my opinion. YMMV

...I picked up a new one but find a slight change in fragrance. Did it change? Or maybe I'm imagining it? Thanks fab
Definitely different. There have been a lot of regulations put in place that limit or eliminate fragrance ingredients nowadays. Sometimes it is possible for companies to get close to the original or even make a beneficial update. Often something is missing, there is not the same complexity or depth, the fragrance does not last as long, or project as well.

Yep. It's sh*t now, like nearly all classics (e.g. I also think of Azzaro Pour Homme, screwed up for ever): replaced with the cheapest ingredients you can find, doesn't last, starts to smell funny after a while. Bought it at Douglas in Germany.

I didn't wear it that often, also only for nostalgic reasons. So, I replaced a very old bottle of EdT (must be one from late 1990s or very early 2000s) with a brand new one. Scent right out of the bottle is the same for a few seconds, but then ... oh boy.

People don't seem to mind. Seems, they buy just a label and don't care what's inside. That gives opportunities for companies to maximize profits (selling sh*t for loads of money) and at the same time it's no wonder, people buy counterfit products (if the original smells bad and it is only important that bottles with the right label are visible in the bathroom, who cares).

It's sad though. Another one is gone.

What's interesting though. About a year ago i picked up a bottle (slightly used) of cologne and aftershave of a fav of mine.. Pino Sylverste it seemed to have been an original one. The scent was grwat and lasted all day. The aftershave cools your skin right away. Love it!!

The premiums for fragrances change so rapidly, in 2004 Joop was £79.00. Now it's £29.00 or less. So of course they get reformulated.

Top Bottom