What's new

Dr harris vs c salter rose cream

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I havent used the D.R Harris but CRS is top of the hill for me. The scent is spectacular.

The performance is impressive. Its every bit as good as my WK and better. The lather from the CRS cream is smoother, creamier and more consistent and it gets to that state quicker.

The protection from WK is very good and its the most protective soap I'd used, until this morning. CRS has the same amount, and quality, of cushion as my WK with far less product used. This cream really reminded me of my WK soap, but its a smoother lather. I dont really know how to explain it. Creamier and richer but lighter with the same protection and the same protective feel.

Slickness is right there with PdP, even with a thick lather. Its -9C this morning and the furnace is blowing hot. Between passes I usually wipe my face after shaking the water off my hand. I didnt shake my hand this shave so I was using a lot more water. The lather didnt diminish, even for my second clean up. What it did do, much the same as PdP, was build. The more water I gave it, the more lather it made. I rinsed more lather out of my brush when I had finished shaving than it held after my first face lather.

In a battle of thin and slick with PdP, CRS wins. In a battle of protection with WK DM, CRS wins. Simply because it reaches the same level with less product, not to mention it was ~$14CAD shipped and my WK was $39.99CAD shipped. That, is a considerable difference. Add in performance to match with less product used, its a no brainer.

The scent. This wonderful scent. They really nailed it.

This is the scent in the tub.

Red_Rosebud_With_Raindrops_(216494517).jpg

This is the scent as I was lathering.

Dark-Red-Rose-Wallpaper_thumb.jpg

The more its lathered the more it opens up, but its more than that. Lathering for my third pass it hit me. Its more than just a simple rose. Its a rose garden.

451743282_1280x720.jpg

I had to concentrate a bit and think about it, but I could detect that rich deep moisture, the green of the leaves and even the fresh clean dirt. Its incredible. The only downside is, and this may only be a downside for me, it doesnt linger much at all.

I also have Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto and Wickham 1912 English Rose. Its a no contest between the three scents, CRS wins hands down. WK is a darker muskier scent and more like a dusty rose. Wickham is also a muskier dusty rose type scent. CRS Wild Rose is a true rose and still makes me think of the pictures above every time I use it. I cant speak highly enough of CRS.

Performance between the three is very close. If forced to pick the top performer it would be Wickham by a very slight margin. Factor in cost and CRS is a no brainer.

I like the CRS Rose so much I ordered a tub of CRS Indian Sandalwood. I fully expect similar performance.

all the brit rose creams are great, IMHO!
many are same creightons sourced.
DRH, Salter, Truefitt & Hill, TOBS, Coates.

(not to mention vintage Art of Shaving!)

brit rose creams.jpg

If they are the same base, maybe my skin reacts different to added oils. I mostly use soaps but when I’m feeling a shave with a cream 9 times out of 10 I reach for Trumpers (Eucris, GFT, or Spanish leather) over my others in the den (St James of London Sandalwood Bergamot, TOBS Grapefruit or AOS Unscented)

If anyone has used these creams, which Is the better as regards performance..

I've used both in the past. Harris out performs CRS, in scent and quality. I was using CRS French vetiver. it wasn't a good smell, but you get used to the smell of grassy lavender. It was thick and had no slickness at all. DR Harris Arlington was better, but not as good as the soap. It had slickness and some cushion for the razor to glide, and also it has coconut oil along with glycerin. Like all DR Harris products, the cream was really expensive. The scent and performance are worth it when buying DR Harris products.

Top Bottom