What's new

Downton Abbey: All good things must come to an end.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Well, Abbey fans...this up-coming Season 6 will be it's last.
proxy.php

"Carnival Films and Masterpiece on PBS announced on March 26, 2015, that Season 6 will be the final season of the hit drama series
Downton Abbey.

Carnival’s Managing Director and Executive Producer of Downton Abbey, Gareth Neame said, “Millions of people around the world have followed the journey of the Crawley family and those who serve them for the last five years. Inevitably there comes a time when all shows should end and 'Downton’ is no exception. We wanted to close the doors of Downton Abbey when it felt right and natural for the storylines to come together and when the show was still being enjoyed so much by its fans. We can promise a final season full of all the usual drama and intrigue, but with the added excitement of discovering how and where they all end up…”

A runaway hit since it debuted on PBS in 2011, Downton Abbey —a Carnival/Masterpiece co-production—is widely credited with reigniting American viewers’ passion for British drama. It is the top PBS drama of all time, the most popular series in Masterpiece's 44-year history , and one of the most-watched dramas on American television, frequently beating the competition in its Sunday night time slot. Masterpiece is presented on PBS by WGBH Boston.

“PBS and our member stations have been so proud to be the home of Downton Abbey on Masterpiece in the United States," said Paula Kerger, President and CEO, PBS. “We, like the fans, simply cannot wait to see what will happen to the Crawley family and their beloved staff as this incredible series culminates in Season 6. The series has enjoyed such success over the past five seasons and we'll certainly be working alongside Carnival, Masterpiece and PBS member stations to make Season 6 the biggest yet. Until then, Sunday nights on PBS continue to offer fans a full slate of 'must view' British and, soon, American historical drama."

With 51 Emmy® nominations, more than any other British show in Emmy® history , Downton Abbey is one of the most honored series on television. It has won 11 Emmys®, three Golden Globes®, three Screen Actors Guild Awards , a Producers Guild Award , and three BAFTAs".

Read More:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/news/downton-abbey-season-6-final-season/

On the other hand, the Mrs. and I believe season 6 will be just as 'smashing' as the prior seasons (and PBS truly has had a 'Masterpiece'), and we both can't wait for episode 1 to air (date to be determined).
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp]"TV is chewing gum for the eyes". Frank Lloyd Wright[/FONT]

PS No need to fret Masterpiece fans: because PBS 'got's your back ' with Mr. Selfridge...airing Season 3, episode 1...this Sunday, 29 March 2015, @ 9pm ET! :thumbsup:

proxy.php

Read More: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/series/mr-selfridge-s3/

Last edited:
I was surprised and disappointed to read that. This season wasn't exceptional as the previous ones. A bit dull. The writing is not on par as the usual Downton Abbey. Too bad the writer/creator of the show doesn't feel motivated to continue the show. The characters are so well developed and interesting that the show can go on for at least another five seasons if the writers of the show focus more on the characters than historical events.

Well, Abbey fans...this up-coming Season 6 will be it's last.
proxy.php

"Carnival Films and Masterpiece on PBS announced on March 26, 2015, that Season 6 will be the final season of the hit drama series
Downton Abbey.

Carnival’s Managing Director and Executive Producer of Downton Abbey, Gareth Neame said, “Millions of people around the world have followed the journey of the Crawley family and those who serve them for the last five years. Inevitably there comes a time when all shows should end and 'Downton’ is no exception. We wanted to close the doors of Downton Abbey when it felt right and natural for the storylines to come together and when the show was still being enjoyed so much by its fans. We can promise a final season full of all the usual drama and intrigue, but with the added excitement of discovering how and where they all end up…”

A runaway hit since it debuted on PBS in 2011, Downton Abbey —a Carnival/Masterpiece co-production—is widely credited with reigniting American viewers’ passion for British drama. It is the top PBS drama of all time, the most popular series in Masterpiece's 44-year history , and one of the most-watched dramas on American television, frequently beating the competition in its Sunday night time slot. Masterpiece is presented on PBS by WGBH Boston.

“PBS and our member stations have been so proud to be the home of Downton Abbey on Masterpiece in the United States," said Paula Kerger, President and CEO, PBS. “We, like the fans, simply cannot wait to see what will happen to the Crawley family and their beloved staff as this incredible series culminates in Season 6. The series has enjoyed such success over the past five seasons and we'll certainly be working alongside Carnival, Masterpiece and PBS member stations to make Season 6 the biggest yet. Until then, Sunday nights on PBS continue to offer fans a full slate of 'must view' British and, soon, American historical drama."

With 51 Emmy® nominations, more than any other British show in Emmy® history , Downton Abbey is one of the most honored series on television. It has won 11 Emmys®, three Golden Globes®, three Screen Actors Guild Awards , a Producers Guild Award , and three BAFTAs".

Read More:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/news/downton-abbey-season-6-final-season/

On the other hand, the Mrs. and I believe season 6 will be just as 'smashing' as the prior seasons (and PBS truly has had a 'Masterpiece'), and we both can't wait for episode 1 to air (date to be determined).
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp]"TV is chewing gum for the eyes". Frank Lloyd Wright[/FONT]

PS No need to fret Masterpiece fans: because PBS 'got's your back ' with Mr. Selfridge...airing Season 3, episode 1...this Sunday, 29 March 2015, @ 9pm ET! :thumbsup:

proxy.php

Read More: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/series/mr-selfridge-s3/
I like Mr Selfridge better.

I was surprised and disappointed to read that. This season wasn't exceptional as the previous ones. A bit dull. The writing is not on par as the usual Downton Abbey. Too bad the writer/creator of the show doesn't feel motivated to continue the show. The characters are so well developed and interesting that the show can go on for at least another five seasons if the writers of the show focus more on the characters than historical events.

Many BBC shows are designed to be what Americans would call a mini-series, Downton was supposed to be in this model. However it's runaway success in the US on PBS upped it's value.

Aside from the Julian Fellows desire to sweeten the image of how his aristocratic ancestors treated people "in service", I think that as sole writer he fell into recycling ideas such as the Bates murder suspect story. But there's nothing like someone (PBS) willing to pay you a lot of money to encourage you to soldier on with new seasons.

My understanding is that there is talk of doing a prequel show.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yes, all good things must come to an end. For Downton Abbey, the "good things" ended somewhere around halfway through the second season. I was completely taken with the first, disappointed with the second, downright disgusted with the third, and couldn't tell you a thing about the fourth (as I've not watched a minute of it).

It's success was its greatest enemy, as the writing became full of filler and soap opera tactics to stretch the story into more episodes. I hardly begrudge anyone their success. If you can get someone to back a dump truck full of money up to your driveway, more power to you! However, the bloom went off the Downton rose some time ago.

Yes, all good things must come to an end. For Downton Abbey, the "good things" ended somewhere around halfway through the second season. I was completely taken with the first, disappointed with the second, downright disgusted with the third, and couldn't tell you a thing about the fourth (as I've not watched a minute of it).

It's success was its greatest enemy, as the writing became full of filler and soap opera tactics to stretch the story into more episodes. I hardly begrudge anyone their success. If you can get someone to back a dump truck full of money up to your driveway, more power to you! However, the bloom went off the Downton rose some time ago.

I'm with you. As history buffs, my wife and I laughed out loud during the World War I depiction of Matthew regularly coming home on leave between battles and when he stood up from his wheel chair and miraculously could walk was simply beyond the pale.

I think they mailed it in on this last season finale. A bit too cutesy tidying up the murder charges against the Bates couple as a prime example.

I will be obligated to watch the last season though.
I'm a sucker for punishment like that!:w00t:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Well, Abbey fans...Episode 1, Season 6 premieres tonight on PBS, January 3, 2016 ET !
proxy.php

"Downsizing—and extortion!—threaten Downton Abbey, while particular pre-wedding jitters threaten the Carson/Hughes nuptials. Change is afoot at the hospital. Daisy speaks her mind. Anna and Bates wait for the word".

Read More:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/episode/downton-abbey-s6-e1/

proxy.php

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp] “Television is simply automated day-dreaming”. Lee Lovinger[/FONT]

Remember the movie Notting Hill? Watched it yesterday/ Mr. Crawley is the Actor who played the "crap stockbroker".

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Update.png..."'Downton Abbey' is returning with a surprise new season"!
proxy.php

Story by Bryanne Salazar - MSN - 18 Feb 24

"Do you enjoy being swept away by a fantastic TV show set in the past
proxy.php

These days, some of the greatest series take place in history (even if it's a fictional history). Lucky for us, there are plenty of options to dive into. We've assembled a list of shows that make us wish we could travel back in time...

Set in the early 1900s, "Downton Abbey" tells the story of England's aristocratic Crawley family and the servants who work on their sprawling estate. [...]

And now more is in store: A surprise seventh season of "Downton Abbey" -- the PBS 'Masterpiece' drama that wrapped up its TV tenure in 2016 -- has quietly started filming in the U.K., DailyMail.com reported in February 2024.

"Filming has been going on for a few weeks now, it is all very, very secret. There are people working on it who have never seen secrecy like it," a source told the outlet, adding that its expected to be released at the end of 2024.
'
"Those working on the set have been made to sign non-disclosure agreements so that they don't give the game away but there is a lot of excitement at the return of 'Downton'.

It was such a [smashing] huge success before and there are so many more stories to be told, it seemed such a shame not to be able to make more of it but they've made it happen".

Works Cited: Downton Abbey is returning with a surprising 'New Season'

1708309739819.jpeg

proxy.php
"[...] I believe that good [...] television, can make our world a better place". Christiane Amanpour

Last edited:
View attachment 1798511..."'Downton Abbey' is returning with a surprise new season"!
proxy.php

Story by Bryanne Salazar - MSN - 18 Feb 24

"Do you enjoy being swept away by a fantastic TV show set in the past
proxy.php

These days, some of the greatest series take place in history (even if it's a fictional history). Lucky for us, there are plenty of options to dive into. We've assembled a list of shows that make us wish we could travel back in time...

Set in the early 1900s, "Downton Abbey" tells the story of England's aristocratic Crawley family and the servants who work on their sprawling estate. [...]

And now more is in store: A surprise seventh season of "Downton Abbey" -- the PBS 'Masterpiece' drama that wrapped up its TV tenure in 2016 -- has quietly started filming in the U.K., DailyMail.com reported in February 2024.

"Filming has been going on for a few weeks now, it is all very, very secret. There are people working on it who have never seen secrecy like it," a source told the outlet, adding that its expected to be released at the end of 2024.
'
"Those working on the set have been made to sign non-disclosure agreements so that they don't give the game away but there is a lot of excitement at the return of 'Downton'.

It was such a [smashing] huge success before and there are so many more stories to be told, it seemed such a shame not to be able to make more of it but they've made it happen".

Works Cited: Downton Abbey is returning with a surprising 'New Season'

View attachment 1798513

proxy.php
"[...] I believe that good [...] television, can make our world a better place". Christiane Amanpour
This is great news. The Mrs. and I recently watched the whole series and wanted more.

Top Bottom