What's new

Don't Get Over Confident

I started my DE experience around 2006, and was careful to watch and read a number of tutorials and take things slowly. After a few months I felt like I had nailed it and rolled on for 15 years getting good results and being satisfied.

Recently I happened to watch a YouTube video and picked up on a lather building comment that made me go, hmmmm. I gave it a try and the quality of my lather made a significant jump. That got me thinking and I again started looking into DE technique. Putting one of the tips to use gave me an astounding shave with my 34HD, easily the best DE shave I've ever had and possibly the best shave I've ever had, period.

So the motto here is, don't do like I did. Keep experimenting and refining and things may get even better!

What was the tip?
"Buy low, sell high."

Just kidding. I was aware of the need for a light touch no pressure with the DE and thought that was what I was consistently doing. The tip was to pretend that your face is a balloon and the goal is to just barely scrape the lather off of the balloon without popping it. It felt like I was hardly touching my face yet the 34HD inhaled the whiskers. I could have stopped with one pass but with typical OCD I did 3 and the result was flawless with no alum or AS sting at all.

Before I was focused on no pressure let the weight of the razor guide the stroke, and when comparing to my new technique I think even allowing the razor weight on the skin was too much pressure.

Switching to a shavette is making me re-think whether I want to continue with DE :yikes:

And improving my technique I guess.

"Buy low, sell high."

Just kidding. I was aware of the need for a light touch no pressure with the DE and thought that was what I was consistently doing. The tip was to pretend that your face is a balloon and the goal is to just barely scrape the lather off of the balloon without popping it. It felt like I was hardly touching my face yet the 34HD inhaled the whiskers. I could have stopped with one pass but with typical OCD I did 3 and the result was flawless with no alum or AS sting at all.

Before I was focused on no pressure let the weight of the razor guide the stroke, and when comparing to my new technique I think even allowing the razor weight on the skin was too much pressure.

Great tip! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

The main point is that there is always room for improvement!

Top Bottom