What's new

Don't do this at home. Micromatic blade malfunction

P

Pjotr

Just got this amazing GEM Micromatic, a Clop Pruf from fellow B&Ber cpool222. ASR really knew how to make razors. Beautiful machine, built like the proverbial brick s**t house and the plating on it actually makes it look like a deep gold rather than the insipid spray on tan that Gillette seemed to have used on most of their razors.

In any case I somehow made a mistake loading the blade and it ended up sitting on top rather than behind the little stoppers. I did a bewildering first pass with it in this state, thinking that people were dead wrong classifying this as a mild razor. I thought in comparison my Streamline fully loaded would be suitable for use as a childs toy!

After I rectified the problem it did turn out to be a mild shaver although by this stage the whole thing had turned somewhat painful. Man I hate a bad shave!

Makes you wonder how they developed the shaving characteristics of their razors though. Did they try them and then have a meeting where half the attendents bleeding, covered in plasters deliver the verdict?

I can't help but wonder how many times this has happened and guys end up blaming the razor for a bad shave. Two of my 1914 Ever-Ready's have the small blade stops and when the lid is closed they tend to ride up on top of the stops. I have a later model and the stops are the hook shaped stops that the blade actually slides under so they're more secure.

The CP is an outstanding razor, my favorite of the Micromatic line.

P

Pjotr

Could well be HoosierTrooper. It's only at most 0.5mm difference but it hurt. The weird thing was that the TTO mechanism didn't work as it was locked up. Had to knock the thing on a hard surface to release the tension.

Top Bottom