What's new

Dollar Tree's "B Pure" soap...what scent is it?

I have been using a puck of B Pure shave soap from Dollar Tree.

It's an "okay" soap as far as shaving. The best part is the scent which is very mild and pleasant.

Does anyone know what the scent IS?

Initially, before using it, I thought it had a vanilla scent. It reminded me of those "Christmas cookie" candles. However, once I started using it a different scent came out that was like an aftershave scent. Not quite like "Old Spice" but, that's the only thing that comes to mind for me.

So, do any of you know what scent they use for B Pure?

It smelled like an unscented soap to me. I couldn’t get this soap to lather and it failed as a bath soap also. Do not buy.
It definitely has a scent and it is stronger than the scent of Williams (which was my preferred soap for around 30 years). I just can't place the scent.

As I said, initially it seemed like a vanilla scent (which I found pleasant though odd for shaving soap). However, once I started using it it has more of a spicy scent with hints of vanilla.

I don't know why it didn't lather for you. I have no issues with getting a lather although, it isn't the best lather.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Since Farmer Tan has abdicated the ARKO THRONE he has been using B-Pure soap so its best to ask @FarmerTan for the scent details. :w00t:
I love the stuff. I actually just used it the other day with my old brush that won't die. I need to report on the excellent shave in that thread I started about "just like grampa used to shave" or whatever it's called.

That brush that I haven't kleaned in 4? years didn't shed one bristle if you can believe it!

FarmerTan

It smelled like an unscented soap to me. I couldn’t get this soap to lather and it failed as a bath soap also. Do not buy.
I have only face lathered or treated it like a puck, but I found it to be a great soap. In the same vein as Pre de Provence no. 63, but not nearly as nice a scent.

IMG20230626111109.jpg

It's a glycerin based soap. It lathers fine and easily, just like every other glycerin based soap I've ever used. Scent is very faint, slightly spicy, mostly a vague cologne type scent. Smells kind of like a very watered down Old Spice, but again, the scent is so faint it might as well be an unscented soap.

Performance is meh. It's a good soap. Not great, but not bad, either. I could use it forever, if I had to. Performance is on par with other glycerin based soaps like Col. Conk, Van der Hagen, and Viking Revolution, and I would actually rate B*Pure a bit better than any of those three, and better than many other more expensive soaps out there.

I don't know as it's worth stockpiling, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a newbie as an easily found, cheap, good starter soap.

...and now I'm going to seriously think about stocking up on it.

FarmerTan

View attachment 1677245
It's a glycerin based soap. It lathers fine and easily, just like every other glycerin based soap I've ever used. Scent is very faint, slightly spicy, mostly a vague cologne type scent. Smells kind of like a very watered down Old Spice, but again, the scent is so faint it might as well be an unscented soap.

Performance is meh. It's a good soap. Not great, but not bad, either. I could use it forever, if I had to. Performance is on par with other glycerin based soaps like Col. Conk, Van der Hagen, and Viking Revolution, and I would actually rate B*Pure a bit better than any of those three, and better than many other more expensive soaps out there.

I don't know as it's worth stockpiling, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a newbie as an easily found, cheap, good starter soap.

You got it bad, brother.

FarmerTan

Well, at least with B*Pure, it's "do I buy a bag of Doritos, or five pucks of soap instead?"
With your permission I'd like to steal that line.

Of course, asking permission to steal negates that crime, I suppose. So I rescind that request; I'll just steal it.

I'm thinking there has to be a great sermon in that question you posed. But since I'm no preacher I'll have to call it a "lesson" instead.

With your permission I'd like to steal that line.

Of course, asking permission to steal negates that crime, I suppose. So I rescind that request; I'll just steal it.

I'm thinking there has to be a great sermon in that question you posed. But since I'm no preacher I'll have to call it a "lesson" instead.
Yeah, feel free.

Since I had it out, I used it. It's actually a better soap than any glycerin based soap I've used. Still below my top 5, but for $1.25, worth using, and better than many artisan soaps I've used.

FarmerTan

Yeah, feel free.

Since I had it out, I used it. It's actually a better soap than any glycerin based soap I've used. Still below my top 5, but for $1.25, worth using, and better than many artisan soaps I've used.
Yeah, I was shocked.

But how many vegetables had to DIE for me to shave my face!? But I will probably use it again.

View attachment 1677245

It's been many years since I used Van der Hagen but, in my memory, it lathered better than B Pure. However, B Pure has a better scent and feels less greasy to me.

It's been many years since I used Van der Hagen but, in my memory, it lathered better than B Pure. However, B Pure has a better scent and feels less greasy to me.
Since I had both, I compared. I would call it a toss up.

Since B*Pure has been discontinued, Yardley's hand soaps are an excellent replacement. Load heavy and add water slowly.
16878911486431579544947886908656.jpg

If it wasn't labeled as a hand soap, that ingredient list wouldn't look out of place in any traditional shave soap. Better than some, actually.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

Since B*Pure has been discontinued, Yardley's hand soaps are an excellent replacement. Load heavy and add water slowly.
View attachment 1677704
If it wasn't labeled as a hand soap, that ingredient list wouldn't look out of place in any traditional shave soap. Better than some, actually.
I've shaved with the Yardley English Lavender. It worked just fine for me. :)

FarmerTan

View attachment 1677704
I think I have some glycerin soap that is unscented around here. You, @geneaut , @JW James , and @Eric_75 have me thinking about shredding up some of the glycerin and Yardley soaps and see what I come up with.

Shoot. I might be able to package it up, give a sample to some artisan afficiandoes (or however non-dyslexics spell it) and become a MAJOR PLAYER in the wet shaving kingdom doggone!

Top Bottom