What's new

Does anyone know how to read Russian?

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am building a WW2 Russian airplane for a customer. The model has some decals of Russian slogans, and he wants to know what they say. Here is a photo of the decal sheet. Thanks for any help. Have a great weekend guys!
20210619_113631.jpg

These slogans were somewhat common on Russian weapons during the Second World War. Most of them were political in nature, recognizing fundraising efforts from collective farms or factories to pay for the weapons, with tanks and aircraft usually being photographed. I can't help with the actual translations, either, but "3a" means "For," with the words following being things like "victory" or "the Motherland!" Sometimes they'll reference historical figures, princes or heroes from Russia's past. Further complicating the issue is script in other languages, like Estonian.

Someone might come along to help, or you can use Mike's link above. Won't hurt to try!

These slogans were somewhat common on Russian weapons during the Second World War. Most of them were political in nature, recognizing fundraising efforts from collective farms or factories to pay for the weapons, with tanks and aircraft usually being photographed. I can't help with the actual translations, either, but "3a" means "For," with the words following being things like "victory" or "the Motherland!" Sometimes they'll reference historical figures, princes or heroes from Russia's past. Further complicating the issue is script in other languages, like Estonian.

Someone might come along to help, or you can use Mike's link above. Won't hurt to try!
Thank you for the advice. I looked in my T-34 tank guide. This book is is targeted for modelers. Lot's of photos and drawings of slogans on tanks, but I could not find a match. Thankfully, @TommyCarioca is can help.

I studied Russian when the USSR was still around. About the only sentence I remember is: I don't know where my briefcase is. I suppose that was useful during the Soviet era.

I hope I can help. There is written "Мстим за боевых подруг Таню Макарову и Веру Белик" [Mstim za bojevyh podrug Tanyu Makarovu i Veru Belik] (It could be translated as following: We will take our revenge for fighting/militant girls Tanya Makarova and Vera Belik!) I probably don't use the sentence right in English, but I believe you got the point. You may think like Soviet people say "You killed our 'fighting girls' Tanya Makarova and Vera Belik, and we will take our revenge".

And who were Tanya Makarova and Vera Belik? Let me explain. Tanya Makarova was a flight commander and she frequently flew with flight navigator and lieutenant Vera Belik, They would fly in a PO-2 and the last time they were in an operation in Poland in 1944, their PO-2 got shot down by Germans after successfully ending a bombing mission. Both were posthumously awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union in 1945.

Ez1jXtCXIAEAyhI.jpg

4e5ad4f30778f001588774120.JPG

(Krasnodar, Russian Federation)

Last edited:
I studied Russian when the USSR was still around. About the only sentence I remember is: I don't know where my briefcase is. I suppose that was useful during the Soviet era.
I am glad that I was not taking a drink of my coffee, cause I would have spewed it all over my laptop! Oh s*** that was funny! :lol:

I hope I can help. There is written "Мстим за боевых подруг Таню Макарову и Веру Белик" [Mstim za bojevyh podrug Tanyu Makarovu i Veru Belik] (It could be translated as following: We will take our revenge for fighting/militant girls Tanya Makarova and Vera Belik!) I probably don't use the sentence right in English, but I believe you got the point. You may think like Soviet people say "You killed our 'fighting girls' Tanya Makarova and Vera Belik, and we will take our revenge".

And who were Tanya Makarova and Vera Belik? Let me explain. Tanya Makarova was a flight commander and she frequently flew with flight navigator and lieutenant Vera Belik, They would fly in a PO-2 and the last time they were in an operation in Poland in 1944, their PO-2 got shot down by Germans after successfully ending a bombing mission. Both were posthumously awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union in 1945.

View attachment 1299821

View attachment 1299824

View attachment 1299821

View attachment 1299824
Thank you

View attachment 1299821

View attachment 1299824
Thank you ma'am! I learn something new every day. Have a great day!

Top Bottom