What's new

Do you like or hate Derby's?

I like them better than a lot of other blades including Astra SP. They still aren't one of my favorites though

I like derby, but love my black cowboy hat. I also have a great leather Australian outback type hat that is great in the winter.

I find other blades to be markedly superior to Derby blades. But I wouldn't call them the worst razor blades on the market, nor do they offend me simply by virtue of the fact that they exist.

I like derby, but love my black cowboy hat. I also have a great leather Australian outback type hat that is great in the winter.
OK, now I really need to remember that this is a shaving site, so when someone says Derby, they aren't talking about hats. Guess that what I get for just beginning with my DE razor. [emoji15]

Neither. They're just stuck in the middle with a bunch of other blades I neither particularly like nor dislike.

Hate

When I was developing my technique, I got 3 good shaves from a Derby blade, but every time my face ended up hot, red, sweaty, puffy and unbelievably itchy. There are no other blades that have ever had that effect on me before or since.
A cold facecloth, alum block, another cold facecloth and a splash of alcohol based aftershave got my face back to normal within 15 minutes.
I tossed the rest of the Derby blades in with some more loose blades that I didn't like and auctioned them off on eBay as a sampler.

About 6 months ago I snapped up 100x Derby blades for less than €6 at auction on eBay with an idea to make a profit from parting them out.
Just to see if it was just bad technique when I was a beginner, or the blade itself, I tried shaving with one of the Derby blades -

Same result, a close, smooth shave, but a hot, red, sweaty, puffy and unbelievably itchy face, I sent the Derby blade to the big Shave Den in the sky, via File #13 and gave the other 4 loose Derby blades away as free gifts to buyers on eBay.

I think something in the coating was causing an allergic reaction - I vowed to myself that I will never, ever, and I mean never torture my face with a Derby blade ever again, in fact I'd rather stand on a street corner with my shaving gear, offering it to random passers by and saying "Do you want one of these, do you want one of these, do you want one of these" - and then grow a ZZ Top beard

I hate Derby blades passionately - IMHO they're made under license in Hell and are the blades of the Devil

Joking aside - I'll vote "Hate"
The above is purely IMHO.
YMMV

I think the biggest factor is the razor you match them with. I got several packs as a gift and not wishing to throw them I carried out some long term tests. With my ATT I found them quite acceptable. With my Toggle and Wilkinson Sword Sticky barely acceptable. With my Feather AS-D2 absolutely useless. I will finish them off with my ATT but will not buy any more. My favourite blades are Feathers.

I wouldn't say I hate them exactly. Let's just say I don't hate anyone enough to give them some Derby blades even as a gift and leave it at that shall we?

I seem to remember when I first joined this forum years ago they were the flavour of the month. Highly reccommended they were and my first 100 blade purchase!

Astras and Feathers are my top blades these days but I still use the Derbys with no problems.

Gareth

They are not that bad, regarding the price you can say they are very good. I have a few packages left but they will last forever because i wont use them. For me the Astras are just a little more expensive but way smoother to my skin, especially when i use them for body shaving. If the the derby had the same result i probably would have stayed with them. In the end you have to try to find out if you like it or not.

Top Bottom