What's new

Do you know this company?

I found this razor in an architectural salvage yard. Being a New Orleanian and the maker having been in New Orleans, I couldn't pass it up. I tried looking up the company but haven't had any luck yet. The name is A. Vittur & Sons. Is anyone familiar?

Attachments

• 20231102_154138.jpg
    20231102_154138.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • 20231102_151021.jpg
    20231102_151021.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 47
So Vittur & Sons was likely a hardware or department store. Made in Germany on the back indicates that the razor was not made in New Orleans, so Vittur would not have been the manufacturer (likely Lilly-Blue was). Many US companies ordered razors in bulk that were stamped or etched with their name. For example I have a razor labeled Hibbard & Spencer, a Chicago department store.

So Vittur & Sons was likely a hardware or department store. Made in Germany on the back indicates that the razor was not made in New Orleans, so Vittur would not have been the manufacturer (likely Lilly-Blue was). Many US companies ordered razors in bulk that were stamped or etched with their name. For example I have a razor labeled Hibbard & Spencer, a Chicago department store.
Weren't Hibbard & Spencer a hardware firm? They eventually became Hibbard, Spencer, and Bartlett. Eventually True Value hardware evolved from that lineage.

Weren't Hibbard & Spencer a hardware firm? They eventually became Hibbard, Spencer, and Bartlett. Eventually True Value hardware evolved from that lineage.
Correct on all counts. I am able to date my razor relatively precisely because it was only called Hibbard & Spencer from 1865-1882.

Correct on all counts. I am able to date my razor relatively precisely because it was only called Hibbard & Spencer from 1865-1882.

I have a few razors that have various hardware store markings. I haven't found a B&B thread on that topic though. The big guys, HSB, Shapleigh, Simmons etc sold a lot of SRs I'm sure.

My only 'HSB' cutlery item is a hatchet just marked Hibbard.

Top Bottom