What's new

Do you also think that Rockwell 6S/6C needs Plate #7 and #8 ?

When I first acquired my 6C, I started to use it, with plate #3. Then I moved gradually to #4, #5(Which is pretty close to #6) and finnaly #6.
I used #6 on consecutive shaves and the result was irritation free, decent shaves.
Those days I started to think why, Rockwell did not provide a bit more aggressive plate like #7 and #8.

Existing blade gaps of Rockwell 6C/S are as follows;

Blade gaps
R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm, R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm), R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm), R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm), R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm), R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm).

I wonder if Rockwell release a plate #7 with a gap 0,87 mm. and #8 with a gap 0,96 mm., will you be interest to buy ?

When I first acquired my 6C, I started to use it, with plate #3. Then I moved gradually to #4, #5(Which is pretty close to #6) and finnaly #6.
I used #6 on consecutive shaves and the result was irritation free, decent shaves.
Those days I started to think why, Rockwell did not provide a bit more aggressive plate like #7 and #8.

Blade gaps
R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm, R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm), R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm), R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm), R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm), R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm).

I wonder if Rockwell release a plate #7 with a gap 0,87 mm. and #8 with a gap 0,96 mm., will you be interest to buy ?
I probably wouldn’t buy one, but I would by an open comb plate in an R4 R2 combination.

For my needs no. Mainly use 4. But if they make them I'm sure MANY will buy them. Rockwell should consider making additional plates & should also consider some OC plates.

I own a Rockwell 6S and I get good shaves with plates R4, R5 and R6. But I prefer mild razors. The one spec that Rockwell doesn't list is the blade exposure for it's various plates. Even with plate R6 I don't notice a lot of blade feel, which is good because I don't like a lot of blade feel, but I know many people do. So as far as I am concerned, I wouldn't purchase another plate with more positive blade exposure. As to blade gaps , I think after a certain point the larger gaps, by themselves, don't seem to increase the efficiency of the razor. But I am a daily shaver. My perspective might be different if I was a once a week shaver.

Just remember that the first version of the Rockwell had larger blade gaps..
I think there is a reason why they changed.

I'd expect a larger blade gap to make the shave more aggressive but not closer or longer lasting.

But to be honest, an OC plate could be interesting.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

I would buy a R7/8 plate for sure. Or a more aggressive open comb Plate.

I only use the Rockwell R5/6 plate and generally use more aggressive razors like my Game Changer .84SB or Jaws or Karve SB-F or OC-D.

I shave at R2 for every day and since I sometimes skip the weeked, at R3 for longer beard. Anything higher is not comfortable for me.
I would love to see a slant or open comb R1-R2 (or both)

I've been stuck on plate 6 myself. I plan on acquiring a Karve to open up the options. That said, I doubt that the availability of a Rockwell 7/8 plate would change my mind. It seems like Rockwell simply changes the blade gap between each plate. Karve appears to change both the gap and exposure between plates.

Disclaimer - I haven't shaved with a Karve, don't know what I don't know.

No . To be honest if you cannot achieve optimum skin to blade contact with the existing plates your shaving skills might need more attending to or the geometry is not well suited .

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Blade gaps

I prefer R4 and R5, but I'm a daily shaver.

You should be able to simulate "R7" by single-shimming R6, and "R8" by double-shimming it (using DE blades with the edges cut off).

I prefer R4 and R5, but I'm a daily shaver.

You should be able to simulate "R7" by single-shimming R6, and "R8" by double-shimming it (using DE blades with the edges cut off).

Thanks for your suggestion, I know how to shim but as you will know shimming provides a blade chattering.
In furtherence each and every time placing the shim is an additional job.
Lastly, shims get rusty over the time. So you have to bother your self with cutting the edge of other new blades etc etc...
I prefer a decent blade holding in DE razor, thus I ask my question for one notch aggressive plate of Rockwell.

When I got my first 6S shortly after they went on sale to public, I wrote them to ask about more aggressive plates. They told me they had not had any feedback that people wanted a more aggressive plate and were not considering adding to their options. If enough people write requesting open comb or 7-8 plates they may resopnd.

I say no. It is strictly my personal opinion that beyond a certain point, blade gap becomes meaningless. There are plenty of experienced shavers here who would disagree with me.

I also think Rockwell will not upgrade the 6S in any way. New CNC machining is becoming more inexpensive. Already much more refined SS razors are in the price bracket of Rockwell's 6S. It is only a matter of time before the 6S as we know it will be no more. Just my own conjecture and opinion.

When I got my first 6S shortly after they went on sale to public, I wrote them to ask about more aggressive plates. They told me they had not had any feedback that people wanted a more aggressive plate and were not considering adding to their options. If enough people write requesting open comb or 7-8 plates they may resopnd.

I hope enough fellow shavers will be interested with plate #7 and Rockwell Peoples read or a shaver convey this thread (which serves as a request) to Rockwell People.

I say no. It is strictly my personal opinion that beyond a certain point, blade gap becomes meaningless. There are plenty of experienced shavers here who would disagree with me.

I also think Rockwell will not upgrade the 6S in any way. New CNC machining is becoming more inexpensive. Already much more refined SS razors are in the price bracket of Rockwell's 6S. It is only a matter of time before the 6S as we know it will be no more. Just my own conjecture and opinion.

6S or 6C plate #6 is not very aggressive. Since there are a lot of people who are chasing aggressive DE razors as R41, Futur, Rocca, lupo.95, wolfman wr2 1,55 etc.. there might be a good reason to "request" or "produce" one notch aggressive plate #7.

Rockwell works on both 6S and 6C platforms. So producing a larger gap plate #7 in 6C platform will not be a big deal.
If this strategy works they can do the same to 6S.
In furtherence by this way Rockwell may "re-attract" the customers who are planing to sell their existing 6S or 6C platforms in order to acquire a bit more efficient DE Razor. This strategy will help Rockwell to get ahead of the race against their rival in the market.

Top Bottom