What's new

Do I want another AD?

Hi everyone. I am thinking of getting a fountain pen. But I know less than nothing about them. Reminds me of when I got my first razor, about 100 razors ago! So, I have 2 questions. 1) Can you get ONE fountain pen? 2) Any suggestions on an inexpensive one to START my newest AD with? I've got some razors on the BST, I added at the bottom that I'd be interested in a fountain pen. Are there any that I should run from?

Yes, you want another AD :) I started here almost six years ago, but fountain pens have been by far my most expensive, enveloping endeavor thus far. Enter at your own risk!

As for an inexpensive one, you can't go wrong with a Pilot Metropolitan. They're very sturdily designed, easy to take apart, feel great in the hand and don't cost any more than $15 from Gouletpens. The only bad part is that they only come in medium, but the medium is more like a fine. Still, though, a really nice starter pen that won't break the bank. Others will recommend the Lamy Safari which are not bad pens by any means; but, the only thing going for them over the Metro is that they have interchangeable nibs.

Just my humble opinions. I'd go for the Metropolitan first.

For a first pen Johnny have a look at either a 78G (ten bucks shipped off the bay) a pilot metropolitan (15 bucks plus shipping from a couple of places gouletpens is a good place to start looking) although the metros do not come with a converter to use with bottled ink, the 78G I believe (and now have check yes) with a converter if you should choose

although if you want something a bit nicer we can do that too, any idea how much you want to cap this at, we got a 30 dollar budget here, or say a 50 to give you some options to look at ?

And Johnnie..... Welcome to the Nib :biggrin1:

For a first pen Johnny have a look at either a 78G (ten bucks shipped off the bay) a pilot metropolitan (15 bucks plus shipping from a couple of places gouletpens is a good place to start looking) although the metros do not come with a converter to use with bottled ink, the 78G I believe (and now have check yes) with a converter if you should choose

although if you want something a bit nicer we can do that too, any idea how much you want to cap this at, we got a 30 dollar budget here, or say a 50 to give you some options to look at ?

And Johnnie..... Welcome to the Nib :biggrin1:

Thanks James! Let's keep it at the $10-$15 range until I try one or two, see if I'm going to like them or not. The 78G is made by whom? How would I find it on the bay?

Now for the really dumb questions. They come with fillers, right? You can open them, toss the filler, replace it, and be ready, right? If you use a converter, how does that work?

Esasy peasey, when buying a cart/converter pen, have a look to see if they take standard international carts, that means a quick cheap trip to staples, some guys take their own kind of carts and things can get difficult carts come prefilled and you toss and replace an needed, converters are empty tubes with a little turn piston in them, you twise the piston allaway down put pen in an ink bottle then twist it up, and then the converter is filled.
carts should get you by for now to do a quick test to see

I don't know if the Pilot 78Gs already come with extra cartridges. If not, you'd have to buy them separately.

A converter is more or less a permanent, refillable cartridge for use with bottled inks. Most come with a twist-style plunger mechanism.

This guy just so happens to be using a 78G:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I went and looked. I found them, but some say B nib, M nib, and F nib. Bold, medium, and fine?

yeah that it, you'll probably want either a fine or a medium to start, Id probably say a medium for this pen, but thats just my opinion, if you like fine writers like a sharpened pencil then you want a fine, like most disposable ball points, probably a medium

Well the metro only comes in medium so I'd say a 78G fine would be a good start Johnnie

Except a Japanese fine nib works more like a normal extra-fine nib. Pilot Mediums act more like normal fine nibs.

Johnnie, would you mind posting a handwriting sample?

Worst case, I think there's someone on eBay that sells Pilot 78Gs in a set (fine, medium and broad) with some cartridges for $25-30 + nominal shipping.

I bought one of each in the 78Gs from isellpens.com.
Wherever you get them from, I'd recommend getting all three. They're cheap enough so you can try different nibs.

Last edited:
Except a Japanese fine nib works more like a normal extra-fine nib. Pilot Mediums act more like normal fine nibs.

Johnnie, would you mind posting a handwriting sample?

Worst case, I think there's someone on eBay that sells Pilot 78Gs in a set (fine, medium and broad) with some cartridges for $25-30 + nominal shipping.

My handwriting is atrocious, it makes most doctors look like penmanship was one of their top classes, but here goes:

$writing.jpg

Your handwriting is better than mine. That's one reason I'm trying F/Ps. They say it helps. I'm still trying to get used to it.

Top Bottom