What's new

Do brushes get softer by time?

Well I guess yes, answering myself to my question based on the brushes I possess.

I have a moka 2band. It was a lovely brush in the begging with a wonderful scrub. Now after a year usage it feels like a Silvertip one. It has changed its nature I think m

On the other hand my proraso boar brush, although it has breaking in and is softer, it hadn't lost its backbone or scrub effect at all. It the scrub feeling was as lovely as the moka in its beginning, I probably would be using this proraso only.

I wish badger brushes wouldn't get softer.

What is your experience with 2band badger brushes? Do they change a lot with time?

Last edited:
my two bands haven't lost any backbone over time, the tips on natural brushes tend to split and get softer.

All brushes "break in"
Natural hair brushes take much longer to do so... particularly boars.

A brand new boar will feel very different after 2 months of daily use.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
None of my badgers broke in and remain as new as far as softness. I've got two-band brushes like @emwolf that have their original backbone after ten years of on-and-off use.

Haven't tried a Moka, I have read they're OK.

My badgers (two and three-band) have changed very little, if at all with time.

Obviously, my boars changed considerably with use.

In the 90s I bought my first badger and not knowing much the “pure badger” sounded like it was one of the better ones. Ha. I don’t mind a stiffer brush and this one never bothered me then but after years of use and thorough abuse, that thing is soft as a ladies makeup brush. Not really due to thinning or shedding, just major change in texture over a significant about of time. Knots and grading certainly vary, so I would expect a lot of different experiences out there.

For me, most natural hair brushes break in and get softer over time. Now how much softer? That depends on the brush. Boar brushes without the plastic-like straw bristles get softer a lot easier. Badgers, they break in slightly for me but the splay becomes better as I use it more often.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've found that a couple of Manchurian badger brushes had a bit of scritch the first couple shaves that went away after 4-5 uses. I've also noticed that after years of use a good quality pure badger like a Rooney or a Simpson becomes delightful- far less scritchy and no longer pokey. That's after many years, and many many uses.

In the 90s I bought my first badger and not knowing much the “pure badger” sounded like it was one of the better ones. Ha. I don’t mind a stiffer brush and this one never bothered me then but after years of use and thorough abuse, that thing is soft as a ladies makeup brush. Not really due to thinning or shedding, just major change in texture over a significant about of time. Knots and grading certainly vary, so I would expect a lot of different experiences out there.

I have a pure badger that my Dad used. Not sure when he got it, but he’s been gone for 35 years. It hadn’t been used since then. When lathered up, it is Very soft and floppy, so I assume he used it quite a bit. Agree with your comparison to a makeup brush.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I use my boar and horse most frequently, and they are softer than when new. My pure badger still has plenty of scritch, but doesn’t get the same use. More use = softer? That’s my observation.

Some do and some don't. I find synthetics don't get softer over time. They start out soft and stay that way. Badgers also don't seem to change from their original texture or feel. Either they are soft to start with or they aren't. Boars on the other hand do seem to change over time, but again, some more than others. I have several Omegas, a Schone and another one of unknown make. They all seem to get a little softer than when I originally got them. But I'll say that my Omega 10066 and Pro 49 have been slow to break in. My Schone is my oldest boar and it has become silky smooth.

Top Bottom