What's new

Do any of you pipe smokers make your own blends?

I’ve found that some types of tobacco I like in some ways but not fully , for example yellow Virginia is OK but not a great smoke for me (mild and citrus ) . For me Burly is harsh and cigar like ( I don’t really like cigars) . Latakia I do like but needs to be toned down . I like and have always tended to go for aromatics , but find them to sweet or overly flavored. Thus for awhile I have been blending (experimenting) with different concoctions of stuff I have . Nothing complicated, no stoving or pressing . Just mixing different proportions of tobaccos in jars and letting them sit for a couple of weeks.

I wanted to start this thread to see if other pipe smokers have done the same , some examples of successes and or failures. Here are a few of mine.

Success. Non aro
2 parts Orlik Golden Sliced , 1 part Latakia (blending tobacco)

Aromatic
2 parts natural Cavendish , 1 part black cordial (Lane), 1 part Latakia . I really like this. All the flavors come through and nothing is overpowering. For me this is the Goldilocks’ zone

Failures.
Half and Half with natural Cavendish .

I've stopped smoking, but I always loved adding a pinch of 4noggins Covered Bridges (maple aro) to the English blends I smoked; it all came together as a sweet, syrupy, smoky masterpiece.

I also like aromatics but find some of them too sweet. Lately I have been mixing them 50/50 with Carter Hall for a decent result.

I have added PA or Carter Hall to various blends to improve burn qualities or to tone down blends.

I also like BCA and 1Q 50/50. :thumbup:

I have a bag that I throw all the last little bits of tins and such in. It adds up, but I've never been so hard up for a pinch of tobacco that I've tried it yet. That will either be a pleasantly surprising day or a really, really bad one! :lol:

I have a bag that I throw all the last little bits of tins and such in. It adds up, but I've never been so hard up for a pinch of tobacco that I've tried it yet. That will either be a pleasantly surprising day or a really, really bad one! :lol:

I keep a jar of Carter Hall in reach and add the last crumbs from any other tobaccos that don't add up to a pipe full into the jar. I haven't had any problems yet. Every now and then I get a wild taste of something that makes me wonder where it come from... but noting that rated unpleasant.

Top Bottom