What's new

Ditching the Bowl

Hey @deked ! You're only doing it wrong if it's not working for you. I'd say you are face lathering, after loading your brush from a tub. With a shave stick the soap goes directly from stick to face, followed by scrubbing up a lather.

With bowl lathering you would take your soaped up brush and swirl it in a bowl with extra water to make your choice of lather. It's easy with a bowl to get the lather exactly as thick or thin as you like it. Then paint it on to your face. Yeah, you don't get as much scrubbing that way, but you fine tune the amount of lather. I like thin, wet lather with a straight razor and thicker lathers with double and single edge razors.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have a lovely hand crafted bowl that serves a few purposes for me, just not creating lather. I soak my brush and clean my brush in it. Tube cream goes into the bowl so I can swirl my brush a few times to work it in. The bowl takes up very little room on my counter, just a part of my works. I face lather, but still find a bowl useful.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a lovely hand crafted bowl that serves a few purposes for me, just not creating lather. I soak my brush and clean my brush in it. Tube cream goes into the bowl so I can swirl my brush a few times to work it in. The bowl takes up very little room on my counter, just a part of my works. I face lather, but still find a bowl useful.
EXCELLENT point. I do much the same.

Hey @deked ! You're only doing it wrong if it's not working for you. I'd say you are face lathering, after loading your brush from a tub. With a shave stick the soap goes directly from stick to face, followed by scrubbing up a lather.

With bowl lathering you would take your soaped up brush and swirl it in a bowl with extra water to make your choice of lather. It's easy with a bowl to get the lather exactly as thick or thin as you like it. Then paint it on to your face. Yeah, you don't get as much scrubbing that way, but you fine tune the amount of lather. I like thin, wet lather with a straight razor and thicker lathers with double and single edge razors.
Hi bud.
Thanx for the info, I do make sure I can still see the stumble when I lather, but do give ma brush a good soak on ma face wi lather, it's good to know the different thicknesses make a difference.. Man, who knew at 50 I, d start using an open Charlie, lmao, missus thinks its a midlife, I know it's just the real, Manly way to groom ma beutifull face, lmao, well, that's what I. Tell the missus

Hi bud.
Thanx for the info, I do make sure I can still see the stumble when I lather, but do give ma brush a good soak on ma face wi lather, it's good to know the different thicknesses make a difference.. Man, who knew at 50 I, d start using an open Charlie, lmao, missus thinks its a midlife, I know it's just the real, Manly way to groom ma beutifull face, lmao, well, that's what I. Tell the missus

When I started out I was bowl lathering too. But it always seemed to me that best lather got stuck to the walls of the bowl. When I got to face lathering I figured that my lather was WAY better than from bowl lathering. You can dial it in better IMHO. Also less clutter and no need to do dishes after shaving

Top Bottom