What's new

Discovering Natural Stone

I received my GD 33 yesterday and brought it to shave-ready with an ILR finish and just tried the razor out today. I must say that I was really impressed by the shave I got with the ILR. Before this shave, I was using either one of the razors that were pre-sharpened or ones that I had finished on a 12K synth, and this edge was definitely different. It felt very smooth, almost like I couldn't cut myself, and it was the first SR/Shavette shave that I had no feedback from the alumn block.

I can see why people are really enthusiastic about their natural stones.

Great result! I’ve tried out several ILR hones and have enjoyed them quite a bit. I find them fantastic pre-finish stones for an Escher, but they do make a really fine edge all by themselves.

Great result! I’ve tried out several ILR hones and have enjoyed them quite a bit. I find them fantastic pre-finish stones for an Escher, but they do make a really fine edge all by themselves.

I've heard Eschers are top-quality stones, I haven't seen any around but I might have to look for them eventually.

I've heard Eschers are top-quality stones, I haven't seen any around but I might have to look for them eventually.
I got lucky many years ago and picked up an Escher Barbers Delight for CHEAP! If you can find one, I highly recommend it! Jasper and Black Arkansas hones are fantastic American hones that will give you a fantastic keen edge. Don’t overlook them, especially because of their affordable price.

I honed on films when I started straight shaving and they were fine and I knew no better. But after a while I started honing on stones. A year with a little piece of Welsh slate, then I picked up a small coticule. More recently with a Japanese natural stone. I’ve always loved the feel of stone honed steel, I don’t know what it is, my face just likes those edges.
Plus a stone is easier to use than films I find. No cutting to size, changing it for a new piece every few shaves.
Films are a good place to start but there’s just something about naturals.

I honed on films when I started straight shaving and they were fine and I knew no better. But after a while I started honing on stones. A year with a little piece of Welsh slate, then I picked up a small coticule. More recently with a Japanese natural stone. I’ve always loved the feel of stone honed steel, I don’t know what it is, my face just likes those edges.
Plus a stone is easier to use than films I find. No cutting to size, changing it for a new piece every few shaves.
Films are a good place to start but there’s just something about naturals.

I think natural stones are more of an art as well, which I like a lot about them. I found the ILR stones pretty simple but corti and BBW are taking me a bit longer to adjust to, but I'm looking forward to my first corti shave.

Top Bottom