What's new

Discontinued Merkur Vision 2000 ?

Hello everybody,

I have recently read in gents.co.uk that Merkur Vision 2000 has been discontinued. Do anybody knows about that ?

I own a Merkur Vision that gives me trouble in the adjusting mechanism everytime that is not completely cleaned (I mean "completely clean", because a minimun soap left clogs the underblade support and the blade does not go up or it clogs and does not go down). So, I continue keep reading any news in order get ideas in how to fix it.

Welcome to B&B

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

I would not be too surprised to see that razor discontinued. It is a complex, expensive to build, razor. I don't think that it has been much of a success for Merkur.

I enjoy using mine and feel that it is one of the better razors I own.

I may use it today. It's been a while so it's about due for another spin around the face

proxy.php

That razor is just to bog for about or cloae to 90% of wet shavers :eek:/ I'm not surprised at all :eek:)

+1

I have long considered it to be total junk: it's clown like freakishly large proportions, and silly cleaning cycle strike it off of many people's want lists.

Last edited:
hi,
is there much of an appreciable weight difference between the FUTUR and the VISION i consider the FUTUR to be a beast,i find i have get mentally prepared to use it lol!

I love shaving with my Vision 2000, it gives me my best DE shaves. My Merkur 34G HD and 37C Slant shave almost as well. I could be satisfied with either of these two non-adjustables as an only DE razor. The only thing I do not like about the Vision is that it can corrode and jam unless cleaned meticulously. I can rinse my non-adjustable Merkurs under the hot water tap, shake off the water and hang them in their rack and have no trouble for at least years, possibly decades. My Gillette slims are adjustable and have lasted for decades. Not so with my Vision. I take my Vision down after every shave, give it a hot water rinse, dry it with a towel and blow air through the razor, especially the adjuster mechanism and push rod channel. I blow air through the adjustment mechanism in both fully raised and down positions.

When I did not realize that I needed to do this, the adjuster started to get harder to turn and the adjustment range started to narrow from either corrosion or mineral deposits. White corrosion was also starting between the TTO knob take down button seat and the take down button at the bottom of the TTO knob. Since I have been taking the razor down for maintenance after each use, I have had no issues at all. It takes only two or three minutes to perform this maintenance, less work than maintaining my straight razors. I also wonder whether it would be a better practice to hang this razor head down on its rack rather than head up as shown in photographs. Any residual water would then drain a short distance down from the head rather than down the handle through the adjustment and TTO mechanisms. It is of course a very expensive razor. It would not suprise me if sales are low. I got my Vision 2000 through a classified sale as a set with stand and brush in new appearing condition at a very attractive price. The brush is the softest badger that I own and the stand is attractive and virtually maintenance free. Will the Vision last for decades with this maintenance? I do not know. I have not tried a Futur or Progress.

Last edited:
hi,
is there much of an appreciable weight difference between the FUTUR and the VISION i consider the FUTUR to be a beast,i find i have get mentally prepared to use it lol!

The difference in weight is 3/10 of an oz (1 gram difference) with the Futur being heavier

Here is a breakdown of the Merkur adjustable razors

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Futur and consider it to be a very good shaver... I think the Vision is to expensive for what you get thou.. Futur requires no additional maintenance besides hanging and drying.

Just my humble opinion, but I think it's one of the ugliest razors I've ever seen. Might be a great shaver, but the looks and size turn me off right off the bat.

I owned a Vision, a Progress and a Futur at one time or another.

I got rid of the Progress first; I just didn't like the fact that it looked and felt clunky and it was difficult to load blades evenly.

The next one I got rid of was the Futur because I didn't like the cap design and came close to slicing my thumb open more than once.

The Vision was the last to go. Despite its huge dimensions, I found it to be better balanced than the Futur (another reason I sold the Futur) and therefore, easier to use. I never had a problem with it. I disassembled it once just to see if I could do it, but it wasn't necessary. I used it wide open for a super-aggressive shave now and then and found it to be similarly aggressive to the Merkur R41. I didn't see a reason to keep both the Vision and the R41, so I sold the Vision (because I could get more $ for it than for the R41). Then last week, a used Vision came up for sale at a pretty reasonable price, so I bought it. I'm not sure why I bought it - I guess I just like having it around even though I won't use it very often.

hi,
quite intrigued by the VISION but as has been mentioned the price is huge.i do have Futur which i like,maybe a Progress would be a good option at a more reasonable price!

hi,
quite intrigued by the VISION but as has been mentioned the price is huge.i do have Futur which i like,maybe a Progress would be a good option at a more reasonable price!

Progress is a good razor (I have 4 of them). The Vision is also a very fine razor (had 2 but now down to just 1).

I stay away from my Vision as much as possible as every time I use it I think about selling everything else and I don't like those dark thoughts :001_smile

Hmm,

I really want to buy a state of the art adjustable razor and I am very tempted to buy the Vision 2000.

Despite its unconventional appearance and the periodic maintenance that may be required, the Vision 2000 is worth it. Very efficient and surprisingly maneuverable. Top notch in my book.

Top Bottom