What's new

Diluted AS with Witch Hazel and Weird Things Happened

background: I really like Fine Accoutrements aftershaves. But the scents are too strong. In particular, I love the American Blend, and Fresh Vetiver scents. Theyre just way too powerful. So when the Vetiver AS started running low (to about 1/6 the bottle), I decided to try diluting it by adding witch hazel. And then I added some menthol crystals to maintain the chill.

The witch hazel did something to create oil blobs at the bottom. Like salad dressing:

IMG_8951.JPG

When you shake it up, it's milky like this:

IMG_8953.JPG

What did I do? The aftershave still works and feels good. The scent is toned down a bit. Should I have not added so much witch hazel? Should I have added some alcohol and water with the witch hazel?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Without going into a bunch of chemistry, that's pretty much some of the menthol down there. You did no harm at all. Just shake it up before you use it.

Yeah, it's a fine balance between alcohol content and fragrance. Witch hazel does not dissolve fragrance, so it will force it out of solution pretty quickly in an alcoholic aftershave.

It won't hurt anything, but if it does bother you, you could add some polysorbate 90 to get it to reintegrate. This is what water based toners have to use in order to get the fragrance oil to not separate.

I've got a couple after shaves (like MLSW The Kraken) that separate out like salad dressing and need a good shaking before use.

Witch hazel does not dissolve fragrance, so it will force it out of solution pretty quickly in an alcoholic aftershave.

The separation does not phase me. I can always shake it. So I'll pass on the polysorbate. But I do want to tone down the strength of the scent a little. What is better? Alcohol? Distilled water? I have another I was going to experiment with.

I mixed a somewhat mildish splash with witch hazel, and it mixed well. Is still mixed, although sometimes I do see a few small drops of an oil like on your photo, so I'll just give it a good shake and that's all.

Nice clickbait thread title!

I added witch hazel to my aftershave and you’ll never guess what happened next!!!”

I usually mix my Fine American Blend with Witch Hazel in my palm. About a quarter's size of witch hazel and 3-5 drops of the aftershave, rub it between my palms and apply. That seems to knock the scent down a bit for me and feels great. I was too lazy to figure out how to pull out the restrictor and then get it back in...

The separation does not phase me. I can always shake it. So I'll pass on the polysorbate. But I do want to tone down the strength of the scent a little. What is better? Alcohol? Distilled water? I have another I was going to experiment with.

Mix water and alcohol in the same proportion as the aftershave was originally blended. Too much water will make the aftershave weak, whereas too much alcohol will make it too strong.

Would the addition of a small of glycerin help keep everything in suspension? I had this problem adding essential oil to generic witch hazel. The oil would float out and not stay in suspension. A small amount of glycerin fixed it for me. Might be worth a try.

Top Bottom