What's new

difference in quality: high end stores vs discount

I'm sure most of you have noticed a difference in quality with regard to consumer products made for Macy's versus Marshalls, but I just wanted to clarify if it's true or not.

with all of these black friday deals popping up I've been seeing a lot of online shops (like 6pm.com) offering unbeatable deals on their product, but I was told that some companies specifically make cheaper product to be sold in specific stores. when I was at Marshalls the other day I was checking out their selection of Bostonian dress shoes. they looked nice but at $50 they also looked kinda cheap. I don't recall seeing these particular styles of shoe at Macy's or Nordstroms, whose prices typically hover around the $100 range. am I just imagining things or are products from low-end retailers always cheaply made? even though i've purchased dress shirts from Marshalls I can't really tell the difference between their dress shirts which cost around $20 over $50-100 dress shirts from Macy's.

I think places like Marshalls and TJ Maxx carry items that were not bought by the major dept. stores for whatever reason (quality, style, color, they're currently overstocked, etc.). These items must still be sold, so they are sold by the manufacturer at a discount to the discount chains. These chains market to shoppers that look for the name brand (along with a "good deal") more than the quality of the items. I think they also buy "slightly irregular" items that the major chains don't buy or reject. There are good deals to be found, but these items are definitely in there for a reason.

With the increased popularity of these discount stores (Ross, H&M, etc), I think major brands do make cheaper products with the intent of selling to these specific stores. I was in San Fran a couple weeks back and saw people in line around an entire block waiting to buy some Jimmy Choo shoes at H&M...obviously made especially for that store. Shoes probably cost the same to make as the fancy ones and while they sell for much less, but they can sell in huge volumes.

Edit: I do notice a big difference in quality and choose not to shop at those places.

Last edited:
Edit: I do notice a big difference in quality and choose not to shop at those places.

the Bostonian shoes I saw at Marshalls looked like they were made of cheap material, but I don't know if this particular shoe was made more for comfort than for show. maybe i'm wrong but I tend to judge the quality of a shoe by the way the sole/heel are constructed. some of the cheaper ones looked like they were made using a shoe mold, whereas some of the higher end ones looked hand-made. I'm sure the ones that looked hand-made weren't in fact hand-made, as this would greatly effect production.

I don't have a lot of experience with Marshalls, but I know all the big name designers have several different lines (aka "Collections") that are sold at various department stores.

That's why you'll see a designer suit at Macys for $600 and a suit from the same designer at Nieman or Saks for $1,200 or more. Different quality levels.

The differences are subtle, but if you look at their labels, they play a lot of games....

GIORGIO ARMAN, ARMANI, GIORIGIO, MANI, ARMANI EXCHANGE

BOSS, HUGO, HUGO BOSS, BOSS BLACK, BOSS GREEN, BOSS SELECTION.

Confusing. Different price points.

When it comes to shoes, I spent years buying inexpensive stylish kicks. But now in hindsight, I'd advocate getting fewer shoes of better quality. Fortunately, you can work with less shoes when building your wardrobe. I've become a fan of Allen Edmonds. They're a bit expensive though.

But check out Johnston and Murphy. They're pretty good and not over the top pricey.

Last edited:
The Bostonians could have been made to sell in a discount store at a cheap price (because of the poor quality). They may have tried to sell them to a major department store and the buyer said "hell no", but probably not.

Whatever you do, stay far away from "factory outlets". They manufacturer lesser quality products specifically for these outlet stores and they mark the prices up so that the "20% discount" you receive is really no discount at all.

Yes, they do manufacture lesser quality items for the outlet stores. They do sell items that the regular stores don't sell, however, they need something on their shelves. Its similar to how Levis make the Signature line for Walmart and now Target. You get a lower quality product at a lower price.

Buying cheap just means your going to have to buy it twice imho. I like Allen Edmonds. Good deals can be had on those, and they're well made. Santonis are nice Italian shoes, but they're pretty pricey.

An example of the outlet store brand is Brooks Brothers. They have some sort of 320 line or something that is only sold in the outlets.

+1 on Allen Edmonds. I got my first pair because I could actually go to the store, get fitted and buy them in the correct width (11 EEE). They were so comfortable compared to all other dress shoes I've worn that I got a second pair. Pricey, but they'll last forever and comfort is something you can't put a price tag on...especially when it comes to your feet.

Whatever you do, stay far away from "factory outlets". They manufacturer lesser quality products specifically for these outlet stores and they mark the prices up so that the "20% discount" you receive is really no discount at all.

+1 I think most of those outlets are a bit of a hustle. If you really truly know the product line of the designer store you're in, you may spot some true bargains.

But I think a lot of it is horrible stuff that didn't sell anywhere for good reason, and some of it may indeed be made just for said store. I've seen too a lot of it is stuff that didn't pass quality control.

But now in hindsight, I'd advocate getting fewer shoes of better quality.

I would advocate this for all merchandise...I would rather pay twice as much for a quality piece of clothing that I know will last than a lesser quality piece that I know I'll have to replace in a year or two. Of course, if you know where to look, you'll never have to pay full price for anything. Because quality clothing is expensive, I take really good care of my clothing.

You just need to look at the mdse and decide for yourself. In the past these outlets sold either imperfect or hard to sell stuff because of style change or odd colors but the quality was top notch. These days often times its poorer stuff made for the outlets.

Depends upon the product. Both clothes and shoes can be made specifically to store specifications so that they are truly a lesser or better product depending upon the retailer in question. On the surface, the products could look identical but there could be difference in the thread count in the fabric, difference in stitching or construction. Some retailers will do more inspection ensuring that they get what they pay for and that the quality is up to standards.

What tends to muddy the waters is if a better retailer refuses an order and the manufacturer sells to another retailer which happens more than you would think. The jobber gets better quality and sells it at a discount price because they did the manufacturer a favor and got a deal as a result. Here, you'll never be able to distinguish the difference between the retailer's products and you'd be wise to save a few dollars.

This is why you'll need to take your time before buying, try it on to make sure that the fit is good and look to see that there are no flaws in the product.

I hate spending more money on clothes than I have to, to look good. Being a law student, I've got to bargain bin hunt. Its time consuming and it kind of sucks. But finding the gems in the pile of crap is always rewarding. I guess because I had to work harder for it rather than go up and swipe the credit card for the exact item I want....

Anyway. Back on point. Replacing clothes once a year or even every other year gets extremely expensive when compared to replacing clothes every 10 years or 5 years.

I must admit that all my clothes from Costco has actually lasted a lot longer than I would have thought considering the price I paid. The stuff from the outlets have not lasted a year of wear. For example, all my stuff from Burlington Coat Factory has turned out to be crap and a total waste of my money. Mens Wearhouse, less so, but I'm never going back there. Shirts from Kohls lasted a year or two, not bad for the price I paid, but the fit was never great and the feel could definitely be better. And they didn't look very nice. Ended up donating those. Some polos from the Van Heussen outlet store also didn't hold up very well. Geoffrey Beene outlet store stuff was a hit and miss. I guess there are outlet store only items because the cuffs on those shirts were very poorly made. Gave those to my brother.

That said, I have found regular store brand items at the outlet stores and those have lasted pretty well.

I will also say be carefull of online discounters

I ordered a pair of bostonians off Amazon earlier this year and they were clearly inferior quaity. Fortunately, amazon was great about returning them.

The West End of Glasgow's pretty famous for its students and the attendant thrift stores. Its a good way to kill an efternoon, especially with a coffee stop halfway and there are some amazing bargains to be had if you follow the cardinal thrift-shop rules
1. Only ever buy quality
2. Only buy things which fit perfectly.
3. Have patience
I balk at paying RRP now.

I don't have a lot of experience with Marshalls, but I know all the big name designers have several different lines (aka "Collections") that are sold at various department stores.

That's why you'll see a designer suit at Macys for $600 and a suit from the same designer at Nieman or Saks for $1,200 or more. Different quality levels.

The differences are subtle, but if you look at their labels, they play a lot of games....

GIORGIO ARMAN, ARMANI, GIORIGIO, MANI, ARMANI EXCHANGE

BOSS, HUGO, HUGO BOSS, BOSS BLACK, BOSS GREEN, BOSS SELECTION.

Confusing. Different price points.

When it comes to shoes, I spent years buying inexpensive stylish kicks. But now in hindsight, I'd advocate getting fewer shoes of better quality. Fortunately, you can work with less shoes when building your wardrobe. I've become a fan of Allen Edmonds. They're a bit expensive though.

But check out Johnston and Murphy. They're pretty good and not over the top pricey.

Most designers do that to reach other types of customers/different styles (example: DKNYC is for a different customer base than DKNY. DKNYC is more for a career oriented woman and at a reasonable price point. DKNY is at a higher price point than DKNYC.) Some truly do get confusing though (Calvin Klein white label and black label.)

Top Bottom