What's new

Did I just buy a 1904 Auto Strop?

Hi All

Did I just buy a 1904 (1907?) Auto Strop on ebay? I am assuming the early 1900's bases on the handle and case. I won't get a better look at it until it gets here next week. Now all I need is a VC3.

Thanks for your help.

$ebay valet auto strop 1907.jpg

Hi All

Did I just buy a 1904 (1907?) Auto Strop on ebay? I am assuming the early 1900's bases on the handle and case. I won't get a better look at it until it gets here next week. Now all I need is a VC3.

Thanks for your help.

That's actually a B-model, which is from the the period 1916 to mid-late 1920's. I'd have to see better pictures (and a the serial number would be great) to narrow it down.

The earlier Auto Strops (A-model) will have a push rod to open up the blade holder rather than the more familiar lever at the back sported by the later models:

$AS Model A1_03.jpg$AS Model A1_04.jpg$AS Model A1_05.jpg

The handle on the A-models will be a hollow tube that is open at the bottom.

$AS Model A2_04.jpg$AS Model A2_05.jpg

Last edited:
It's a gold A2 alright. Waits talks about the A-models being silver plated, but this one certainly isn't.

Well I never. Very nice. I have an A2 posted on another site and it isn't silver either. Perhaps rhodium, not certain, but definitely other than silver. This gold one of yours looks very excellent. Nice to see one.

Top Bottom