What's new

Derby Premium..... shockingly good......Review???

I’m anxious to try the Extras especially. Have been avoiding them due to their reputation here (although the original crowd here liked them). I recently “discovered” that with a medium sharp blade in a mild razor I can easily shave across the grain without repercussions and get an easy BBS shave; it does take an extra pass though. I now want to try doing so with the reported mildest blade of them all the Derby Extra.

The Derby Premiums are a “might as well” purchase.
Your experience pretty much mirrors mine. I'm a fan of mild razors and medium to sharp blades. They work for me.

I got a sample pack that included Derby Extra and Premium. The extras got tossed in reject on the 2nd shave on my Emperor blade. The premiums are in round 3 of the shootout. Oddly several years ago I go I tried them in a basic Magard razor, seemed like a better blade in that razor.

It's not. They may be made in the same factory (or not) but they are not the same blade. I believe people made this assumption based on both coming in black plastic tucks, but if you look at these tucks closely they are not the same design, the only thing common is the color. And in my experience, Parkers are smoother.
You're right Parkers are better. I wish I could buy fewer than 100. A very clean looking blade too.

I got a chance to try out some Derby Premium blades finally I know they have been out for a while now so I have been meaning to give them a shot.

I had extremely low expectations because the last time I had Derby blades was three years ago when I started this whole journey into shaving. Arguably the worst blades I have ever used and one of the few blades where I couldn't get through a shave.
I made sure I prepped the best I could just in case things got "hairy" again low expectations. I shaved after a nice hot shower and whipped up some Prorasso in my vintage old spice mug like always and loaded a fresh blade in my Merkur 37C Slant and got to work.

I was shocked..... I have never had a blade cut that nice and it was a surprisingly easy shave. Since the shave was going so well I decided to take some "liberties" that I wouldn't usually take for example a 3rd pass by the jawline which tends to be an area of trouble for me. Most of the time I can't do it because I tend to get irritation. Not the case with these blades now I did feel a little raw but it was quite mild compared to most blades.

Derby Premium blades are actually pretty good. I can't wait for round 2.
Derby extra blades are the worst. Their premium blades are on par with astra blades. Night and day difference. Like you I can’t get through a shave with Derby extra without having some kind of irritation. Premium no problem whatsoever.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I had my first shave this morning with a Derby Premium. It was in a RR Lupo 95. Initially, it felt sharp and smooth. However, as the day went on, it felt a little rough and I had more stubble feel than other razors provide. I’ll try it again tomorrow and make a final determination if I’ll use one again.

Derby extra blades are the worst. Their premium blades are on par with astra blades. Night and day difference. Like you I can’t get through a shave with Derby extra without having some kind of irritation. Premium no problem whatsoever.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I was quite impressed with the premiums, and while able to get a decent shave with the extras I was waiting for it to carve me up because the feel was NOT the same!

Jay21

Second shave with the Derby Premium confirmed my opinion. They are adequately sharp, but they are a bit rough and cause some irritation. I won’t be using them anymore.

Second shave with the Derby Premium confirmed my opinion. They are adequately sharp, but they are a bit rough and cause some irritation. I won’t be using them anymore.
Yes, my experience as well. Unfortunately.

I’d PIF them if it didn’t involve a trip to the post office…

Jay21

Yes, my experience as well. Unfortunately.

I’d PIF them if it didn’t involve a trip to the post office…
It’s a shame because I wanted to like them and I’m looking for new options since my favorite PPI blades are no longer produced.

I thought Derby's were the "cat's meow" when I started wet shaving in 2009. They were my first 100 blade order, and I wound up PIF'ing at least 70 to other members after trying better blades.

Top Bottom