What's new

Derby Blades

During my first stop at the well known Mertz Apothecary here in Chicago the gentleman behind the counter warned me that he has experienced a bad blade in every pack of Derby's he has used. My first experience with the blades wasn't the greatest (one weeper and a bit of razor burn). Have any of you experienced a similar experience with bad blades in each pack or do I just need to keep working on the well known mantra of "take it slow, less pressure"?

I use Derbys in my 38c almost exclusively. I have never had a problem with them. They always provide a good , clean shave.

Do you think the machining process works itself out of precise calibration every fifth blade and then re-calibrates itself or do the Turks hire unemployed actors to sort and slip one dud into each package?:wink2:

I have heard other remarks that they may be inconsistent. I just bought a 100 because they work in my razors. As I go through ten or twelve packages I'll try to keep track of any duds and their frequency of appearance.

I use the Derbys fairly often and have yet to get a bad blade. I thought I did at one time as I blamed a bad shave on the combination of a Derby in a Tech. It turned out that I am sensitive to the EO in MBs Dublin Tweed SS. As there are many variables in a shave (especially for me as I enjoy a variety of razors, brushes, soaps, *** etc.) as well as an occasional "off day" when it comes to technique/ blade angle/ prep, I often wonder if any given shave is erroneously blamed on a "bad blade".

Derby's are one of my Favorite blades no problem with them so far. Have used in my Progress, Bakelite and Slim Adj. with no problems.

Like others who have responded, I have had zero issues with Derby's.. in fact, it's the blade I reach for when I want to run a shave with less concentration.

I have two DE's loaded all the time.. one is my regular rotation with the blade of choice for that razor and a second with a Derby in case I need a break...

In the over 200 Derby blades I have used I have only had 1 dud. The Personna's that I have used had at least 1 dud in every pack that I have tried.

I got a sample pack of Derbys and was eager to try them after all the positives I've read. Being a newbie and only having a 1960 SS, I can't really comment on how they perform with other razors but the ones I've tried were terrible! A couple of weepers with the first shave and 5 with the second. I tried another blade thinking I had gotten a dud and the results were the same.

In my limited experience with the Derbys, IP blue pack and Shark Super Stainless, the Sharks are my fave. As my shaving technique improves, perhaps I'll get better results with the Derbys.

I've had an opportunity to compare the Derby Extra "vertical" and "horizontal" blades for about two weeks now. As far as I can tell, these blades shave very similarly (if not the same) to each other and offer decent shaves that are smooth and relatively forgiving. I would rate both of them slightly better than the Israeli Personna (a.k.a. Super+ Platinum) blades, which I'm fond of using. Obviously, someone elses experiences will differ from mine.

Derbys are very forgiving and I have never had any problems with them - and I have gone through at least 50 blades. They are not as sharp as I like - but I find they are very smooth.

I consider myself still a newb, but with good technique. I regularly get BBS shaves from my New Standard and SS.

From a derby I get some variance in regards to the shave outcome, irritation etc. Other blades seem to be more consistent. I love the Lord Platinum blade quite a bit. No weepers or red neck :thumbup1:

hi all
i have been using derby blades for a year now, been great,no problems and now bought another 100 and not so good ,already had a few duff ones ,felt like they are blunt . the logo used to be sideways on the long side of packet ,the new ones the packet has to be end up to read derby logo .must be made somewhere else . a definite difference .

I tried the Derbys and they were just OK for me.

This morning I gave the Sharks a go and I think I liked them better.

I will know after a couple more shaves with them, but if you are looking to try something new, give the Sharks a go.

My favorite DE blade brand is Derby, I have used all versions of them i.e. Vertical, horizontal and Orange, I detect no difference. They are smooth and forgiving while still being sharp enough. I normally use them in a slant. I really don't get all the negative press concerning Derbies; it's unfortunate that some members here are having less than satisfactory results with what I feel are the best all-around blade out there. you know... YMMV

Tried Derby and found that it really pulled trying to go ATG where other blades (i.e. Feather, Astra, Crystals) did not. Left me with a lot of razor burn. I was using them in a SS with Kyle's prep and C.O. Bigelow (Proraso) cream.

Not sure I would use another one unless I buy a different razor.

Top Bottom