What's new

Definitive Maduro Cigar?

Gents, I have a dilemma: I do not know if I like Maduro cigars.
Generally speaking, I enjoy connecticuts, most habano's, and I never met a cameroon I didn't like. But Maduro...I just don't know.
I absolutely hated and despised the 5 Vegas Maduro. I have been avoiding all Maduro cigars since this experience.
...Except, I have had a CAO Brazilia, and it was very very good.
I want to find out once and for all if I like maduro wrappers. What are some definitive maduro cigars?

Their 1926 & 1964 series are mind-blowing (and priced accordingly), but every maduro I've ever had from Padron has been exceptional.

Partagas Black
La Gloria Cubana
AF (when I could find them - Hemingway)
Both were my favourites when I smoked the Black was realitivly new but I loved them

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I really enjoyed the Partigas 1845 extra oscuro, and their Cifuentes are one of my favorites.

Punch double maduro is also good.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

You know what, I got a thrifty 50 sampler recently and I think Partagas Black might be in there. I'll try that later, and check and see what else I got in the sampler to try.

I feel like this will be like Captain Black ruining aro's for me, and then figuring out years later that there are very good aro's out there...

I did not like any 5 Vegas cigars. I stuck with only a few classic brands because when I branched out they were never any good. Now a lot of those have gotten fantastic, but really it became too much if a hassle

I always like watching cigar threads. I haven't done a very good job keeping up with what I liked when I tried it. Have done a bit better remembering what I didn't like haha. Great ideas here. The couple maduro that stuck out to me was hoyo de monterey and one from "leaf" by oscar. There are always going to be excepions. I had some rocky patel stuff lately and a few of them almost made me yack lol.

I will second the following opinions and add my own:

1) 5 Vegas Cigars are not worth buying, but that is just my opinion

2) Partagas Black Label, absolutely.

And... I know you said you tried a CAO Brazilia (yes, a great smoke) but see if you can get your hands on a CAO MX2. They are fairly similar to the Brazilia, but I'd say the MX2 is one of my favorite cigars.

Also, I don't think they are that prevalent in the USA, but here in Canada we can always find Don Tomas cigars. They are relatively inexpensive Dominicans, but the Don Tomas Maduros are decent quality at a reasonable price. Once again, YMMV as I can find them frequently in Canada but for some reason difficult to find in America.

I really like Hoyo excaliburs, and Perdomo Lot 23's...but I have not had the maduro version of either because I "do not like maduro."

I'm excited to experiment now.

I just noticed the Nica Libre in my sampler is a maduro wrapper as well. I've had them before and I don't recall disliking it. Man, I think I got tricked by 5 Vegas!

They make Excalibur both ways in Cameroon and Maduro, both are good.
El Rey del Mundo is a old school cigar in maduro.
I went through a box of Partagas Black and the wrapper has a hard time staying lit and likes to tunnel. The Cifuentes are the most under rated sleeper in the Partagas line.
Padrons are good but are just not priced right and if I'm going to spend in that range I'm going for a Fuente or Ashton. To me Padrons have become like Davidoff, more hype than the best tobacco like they claim.

Drew Estate IMHO only makes 2 good cigars - T52 and Liga #9. Both are good maduros and I lean towards the T52.

Just my opinion, worth about 2 cents.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I’m pretty sure the Partagas Black wrapper is boiled and not a true maduro, however I found them tasty.

To me Padrons have become like Davidoff

I was never impressed when I started seeing these and by the time I was told they were so much better, the price showed it and never bothered

Cifuentes are incredible

Padron and Rocky Patel have good cigars and they have not so good cigars... however for the price you can't always tell them apart. :(

I've never had any 5 Vegas.

When I started hanging out at the local cigar shop I thought I didn't like cigars but I broke myself in on Punch London Club and London Club maduros. I thought I didn't like maduros from what some of the other guys smoked. Thick, oily smoke and smelling awful. Turns out I just didn't like their maduros.

Try some of the maduros in the ones you like already like the lot 23's. :) Decent bag for the buck. As are the Perdomo Fresco.

I'm going to have to start trying some nice cigars again. I got too much into trying to find an inexpensive cigar to smoke more often. Haveing cigars as a treat away from my pipes has been more realistic for me. Plus my local b&m just moved to a new building. They tripled the size of their humidor :001_tt1:. Also more of everything else :clap:

Top Bottom