What's new

Declining sales at the, "Three T's?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! I came across your review (didn't put two and two together until just now), I'll make sure I revive it once I get around to buying and using the cuban lime and cedar! I suppose I will have to just buy the Spanish fig/nutmeg as well then...:D

Excellent!...That's the true B&B way!

I look forward to your review in due course.

I have one of their creams, and it's awesome.

I had their cream years ago and it was indeed very nice but I'm a soap guy so I had sold it off.

When I was new to wet shaving, I picked up the three T's along with DR Harris hard soap. then I found out about artisan soaps and have never looked back. I still use these products about once or twice a year each, but they fall near the bottom of Tier III in my evaluation of performance. The three creams are easy to lather and the primary slickness is very good, but they do not have the residual slickness, cushion or post shave conditioning of the better artisan soaps. The only reason I keep the Three T's in my den is their historic significance.

I prefer artisan soaps these days even though I used Trumper for many years. At least to me it seems as though the quality of the soaps and creams from the three T’s has dropped some.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
If the classic big British companies want their shaving soaps to sell, they should go back to the older tallow formulations they built their reputations on. A few years back many of these companies ruined their shaving soaps with reformulations that simply didn’t perform. The same thing goes for Floris and Penhaligon’s. Some of these soaps were considered the absolute best by many shavers here before being reformulated.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If the classic big British companies want their shaving soaps to sell, they should go back to the older tallow formulations they built their reputations on. A few years back many of these companies ruined their shaving soaps with reformulations that simply didn’t perform. The same thing goes for Floris and Penhaligon’s. Some of these soaps were considered the absolute best by many shavers here before being reformulated.
Does anyone know if Great Britain or the EU passed a law or something forcing the changes on these soaps?

It just seems weird they would hurt their product for pennies worth of profit, when the inevitable price would be selling less product.

But, as my Dad always said about General Motors, if they can save a penny on one part, that adds up to a BUNCH of pennies down the road...

I'm all old school, at this point: Williams, Tabac, just discovered Cella, and have good old green Proraso waiting in the pipeline.

Proraso is the only non-tallow soap that has ever given me success. In the past, I have tried van der Hagen (deluxe and luxury varieties) and Edwin Jagger sandalwood - all these were decidedly meh.

I've read good things about Stirling and am considering giving some samples a try, but I have maybe a year's worth of Williams pucks, most of a bjg Tabac puck, most of a Cella bowl, and an unopened Proraso bowl waiting to be used.

Does anyone know if Great Britain or the EU passed a law or something forcing the changes on these soaps?

It just seems weird they would hurt their product for pennies worth of profit, when the inevitable price would be selling less product.

But, as my Dad always said about General Motors, if they can save a penny on one part, that adds up to a BUNCH of pennies down the road...
Along those lines, did you see that Above the Tie is moving production to China to save money? I saw this on their site announcing their new Windsor Pro razor line: "Just like the Apple IPhone and other popular products, the Windsor Pro line of razors are designed and assembled in the US, and manufactured in China." Yet they will still charge $170 fof the stainless steel version!

It just seems weird they would hurt their product for pennies worth of profit, when the inevitable price would be selling less product....
I believe all these soaps are being made by Creightons, so when the formulation changed it went across several brands.

As far as I know Tallow is a cheap ingredient, it's a by-product of slaughtering animals for meat. Most of the ingredients in soap are very cheap, for that matter. The main costs are not the ingredients.

FarmerTan

Along those lines, did you see that Above the Tie is moving production to China to save money? I saw this on their site announcing their new Windsor Pro razor line: "Just like the Apple IPhone and other popular products, the Windsor Pro line of razors are designed and assembled in the US, and manufactured in China." Yet they will still charge $170 fof the stainless steel version!
Lol, I did notice that line in their intro. I thought I might be the only one to be slightly irritated by it, without actually being able to explain what it was that irritated me!

Lol, I did notice that line in their intro. I thought I might be the only one to be slightly irritated by it, without actually being able to explain what it was that irritated me!
Yet you can still buy a Canadian CNC stainless steel razor for $60 or so that even comes with a leather case.

..."Just like the Apple IPhone and other popular products, the Windsor Pro line of razors are designed and assembled in the US, and manufactured in China." Yet they will still charge $170 for the stainless steel version!
To quote a favorite Shogun 2 game character:
A shamefur dispray!

ATT used to make such a big deal of their insistence on manufacturing in the United States.

FarmerTan

I believe all these soaps are being made by Creightons, so when the formulation changed it went across several brands.

As far as I know Tallow is a cheap ingredient, it's a by-product of slaughtering animals for meat. Most of the ingredients in soap are very cheap, for that matter. The main costs are not the ingredients.
Yes, duh, I'm not bright! I remember years ago being at a trade show/seminar as a Cosmetologist and one of the presenters mentioning that a bottle of shampoo had something like 25 cents worth of product and the rest of the $10 price was for packaging, advertising, etc.... I'm getting old, lol.

And I never sold any hair care products for retail. I sold it at cost. Stuff was no better than Sauve, typically!

Creighton's makes the creams for the 3 Ts (and Bullgoose and some other companies), but they aren't all the same formulation, although they are similar.

That said, the hard soaps are outsourced to a variety of firms.

At present, Harris has its soaps made by whomever is making the Cyril Salter soap, and it's excellent, even better than previous iterations of Harris's tallowate soaps. T&H and Trumper at one time had very similar, if not identical, veggie formulations, but they may not be the same anymore. Taylor always did its own thing, and at one time I'm pretty sure (based on memory and combing old threads at various forums) their soap was made by whomever made Floris soaps when they were actually really, really good (like 1980s to mid-1990s).

I haven't used a Taylor soap in ages, but it at least still seems to be potassium first, not sodium, which makes it better than Trumper. T&H, from recent reports, may have found a better source for their soaps of late.

...At present, Harris has its soaps made by whomever is making the Cyril Salter soap, and it's excellent, even better than previous iterations of Harris's tallowate soaps...
I've been wanting to try the Cyril Salter soap, but it will have to wait 'til 2021!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
C'mon, let's not go pushing the thread in that direction. Please, let's try to stay on topic.

I miss the good old Penhaligon's tallow first soap!

FarmerTan

C'mon, let's not go pushing the thread in that direction. Please, let's try to stay on topic.

I miss the good old Penhaligon's tallow first soap!
Sorry brother. I assess a 15 yard penalty on me.

First down!

Good catch there @nemo !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom