What's new

Debate with me: daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary

I have stubble by the end of the work day after a close morning DE shave. Generally very close to BBS. By the next morning it’s whiskers. Impossible to go to work without shaving daily.
I have neither a light nor a heavy beard. I would describe it as medium, as the OP describes his beard. However, if I am going out for a late dinner, I might do a quick shave to remove the 8 o’clock stubble, and I most certainly need to shave the next morning. My clients and coworkers would notice it, and it violates company policy.

I have neither a light nor a heavy beard. I would describe it as medium, as the OP describes his beard. However, if I am going out for a late dinner, I might do a quick shave to remove the 8 o’clock stubble, and I most certainly need to shave the next morning. My clients and coworkers would notice it, and it violates company policy.

What sort of business has such a policy?

I agree it is sometimes easier to get a good shave with 2 days growth compared to one days growth. Depending on your I ndstry & your level of interaction with clients & colleagues, having a nice one day growth of beard is acceptable. Other businesses have different cultural norms, protocols, & business etiquette guidelines.

Know who you represent, and who your client is & who are they they recommending you to. If you are certain on those answers, take a day off from shaving! Not quite sure,it’s better to be overdressed than underdressEd. Just my.02 worth.

It’s really not necessary for me to attempt to add anything to this discussion. Most everything has been covered by the comments above, none of which are excessive. However, if called upon, for my part, I suppose I would argue that it’s excessive and unnecessary to argue about whether anything is excessive and unnecessary. But even arguing about that would be excessive and unnecessary, arguably. :straight:
DC466D0F-C059-4EB4-827D-4726E0518B3D.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s really not necessary for me to attempt to add anything to this discussion. Most everything has been covered by the comments above, none of which are excessive. However, if called upon, for my part, I suppose I would argue that it’s excessive and unnecessary to argue about whether anything is excessive and unnecessary. But even arguing about that would be excessive and unnecessary, arguably. :straight:
View attachment 1109407

Depends how you feel about things that are excessive and unnecessary really

Depends how you feel about things that are excessive and unnecessary really

One reason this hobby is so appealing, I submit, is that it is chock full of items, and practices, that are arguably excessive and unneccesary. Indeed, much of modern society is founded upon excessive and unnecessary .... almost everything! At this point, I’m starting to suspect that that is the whole point. But I digress, unnecessarily.

Attachments

• 0A321802-01CD-41C6-92EF-D76D58493527.jpeg
    0A321802-01CD-41C6-92EF-D76D58493527.jpeg
    798.1 KB · Views: 23
Hi,

In some circles, shaving is necessary or you die. In other circles, not shaving is necessary or you die. I used to be in the first circle: firefighting. I was never in the other: Archaeologist.

Stan

I agree. After a full BBS shave, I have no real growth to shave the next morning. I mean you can feel that there is hair growing, but it's not visible beyond a 5 o'clock shadow for me.

I have I suppose what is a medium beard type. After a BBS shave a shave the next day is not needed, even though if you were to run a playing card along my beardline you’d hear feedback. There is simply not enough growth to warrant a shave, let alone for anyone else to really notice or care.

My buddy has a full, thick, coarse beard, but yet the story is the same. 24 hour after a BBS, you simply cannot notice the growth on his face.

So from the above anecdotes, I can only conclude that daily shaving is excessive and unnecessary. Two days apart is fine and will let your skin recover, and three days is probably the best.

I would agree with this. I am not working at the moment and therefore don't need to shave everyday. During my 33 year career working in the financial services industry I shaved every day. And up until 4 years ago, I used a cart. Once I found double edge razors I got the bug, found what works for me and perfected my technique. I can usually get a BBS shave now. I definitely don't need to shave the next day and often skip the day after that as well. So I'm often shaving 3 days after my last shave. And it works just fine for me. If I let it go longer than that, then my beard starts to get long and it itches. I don't like that. So, for now this works for me. If I land a job then I'll shave every day and use a more mild razor such as a RazoRock Old Type.

Top Bottom