What's new

Dealing with dark water spots/rust on an otherwise mirror finish blade?

Hi,

So I was recently mid-shave using my Wade and Butcher straight and had an emergency I had to attend to. It has a beautiful mirror finish, or at least did. As I was finishing up, my 11 month old succeeded in discovering a new way to get hurt. It’s a constant back and forth battle; we safety proof everything, then she finds an injury exploit and adapts to get hurt. It’s much like an arms race, everyone is proactive and reactive all at the same time.

Well my blade sat with some water and soda on it for the duration of the incident. This caused some spots to appear, one literally adjacent to bevel.

Is there anything recommended for something like this? I’d like to avoid using any sandpaper-abrasive and preserve the current edge.

Thanks!
7661BBD9-D7B4-4291-8314-2EC3086E3179.jpeg
65740FAA-9B56-457F-AB00-5899B0DF8ECE.jpeg

With all those visible lines, I do not see how that can have been a mirror finish. It doesn't even look like a full-on 600 grit matte finish.

Those are light spots, seemingly superficial. You could try the mildest intervention and work your way up if it doesn't work, using a light touch to minimize disruption:
* Flitz on a cloth
* One of those wonderful 5000 grit Trizact pads (you could even try 8000, but that seems overly cautious)
* 2000 grit sandpaper
* 600 grit sandpaper

“Is there anything recommended for something like this? I’d like to avoid using any sandpaper-abrasive and preserve the current edge.”

Nope, even polishing with just a good metal polish will wipe a shaving edge. But from the looks of your edge, the heel and toe were never honed, and the middle is questionable.

The scratches were not caused by water and soda, as said if you want a true mirror finish, hand sand with 600 and a good hard backer, (wine cork) until you have a uniform grit pattern and all the deep scratches and rust are removed, then 1k and finish on 2k, removing each of the previous scratches with each grit.

Polish with a good metal polish and 0000 steel wool, finish on metal polish and paper towel or a buffer with Stainless and White compound on a loose wheel.

A rolling X will get a smiling blade fully honed.

“Is there anything recommended for something like this? I’d like to avoid using any sandpaper-abrasive and preserve the current edge.”

Nope, even polishing with just a good metal polish will wipe a shaving edge. But from the looks of your edge, the heel and toe were never honed, and the middle is questionable.

The scratches were not caused by water and soda, as said if you want a true mirror finish, hand sand with 600 and a good hard backer, (wine cork) until you have a uniform grit pattern and all the deep scratches and rust are removed, then 1k and finish on 2k, removing each of the previous scratches with each grit.

Polish with a good metal polish and 0000 steel wool, finish on metal polish and paper towel or a buffer with Stainless and White compound on a loose wheel.

A rolling X will get a smiling blade fully honed.
Hey, so I’m no expert on smiling blade honing, but I had no part in this one as all I’ve done is put it to a strop. I found the blade on eBay for a pretty high price, more than I wanted to pay, so I’ll offered to trade a Filly 14 Foble Temple Gen for 1. The dude and I got along quite well and did the trade, and both walk away happy. He’s a really cool dude. And you definitely can shave with it in its current state, as I was.

Until I feel really confident about fixing stuff like that, I’ll probably end up sending it to Alfredo.

The commenter before you was claiming it’s never been mirrored; it absolutely was, I have photos, and it will be again. Looks like I’m gonna de-scale it and go the whole 9 yards. Are the washers used on these WB available anywhere in case I pop one by accident when unpinning?

Ajkenne4xm3, is your source for triple stacked collars and other collar and pinning supplies on eBay.

There is shiny and there is Mirror, Croesus, Black polish, worlds apart. "Mirror" is often thrown around rather loosely on razor and knife fora.

This is what a shave ready bevel should look like note, no chips.

12kc.jpg

Top Bottom