What's new

DE Blade Hone

Has anyone used any of the blade honing machines? How well did they work? I know that the blades are so cheap that most people wouldn't bother fooling with them but I was just curious.

There was a prior discussion about those old honing machines that appear on ebay occasionally. Members who are knowledgeable about metals pointed out that these were made for steel blades, and would not work well on the metals used to manufacture DE blades today.

Admittedly, these honing machines look rather interesting. However, I hardly see the use for them when you consider DE blade prices are a great value, when compare to the prices of today's cartridges. While these honing machines would have nostalgic value, it's my opinion that it's more sanitary to throw used blades away after a week, opposed to reusing them.

BTW - Have you ever seen the glass hones?

I've seen them. Quite interestiing, but the same applies to them also. In this day of wonders there is no real need for them. From a collecting standpoint they could be of a value. If I am not wrong their heyday came during WWII when most razor blades went to the armed forces.

There was a prior discussion about those old honing machines that appear on ebay occasionally. Members who are knowledgeable about metals pointed out that these were made for steel blades, and would not work well on the metals used to manufacture DE blades today.

Here is a link to one such thread.

Cheers,

Top Bottom