What's new

DE blade deterioration in dispenser packs (vs. tucks)

I've never used the old blade dispensers that have a slider to eject the blade onto your razor. I'm wondering if the blades inside deteriorate quicker in those dispensers.

I've used blades from the '60s and '70s from tucks, but those seem to have more protection from the effects of humidity than do the slidey packs. Does it matter?

I am not certain that cardboard provides better protection than the dispensers. I have tucks from the ‘50s that were part of a set and it’s pretty obvious the original owner threw the box in a drawer in the bathroom, there were severely rusted blades in sealed tucks. You can also see what kind of affect the humidity has on the cardboard, it’s just passing right through.

I am not certain that cardboard provides better protection than the dispensers. I have tucks from the ‘50s that were part of a set and it’s pretty obvious the original owner threw the box in a drawer in the bathroom, there were severely rusted blades in sealed tucks. You can also see what kind of affect the humidity has on the cardboard, it’s just passing right through.
Yeah, when there's cardboard and paper, I can kind of give it the eye test. If it looks like it's been in a swamp, the paper or cardboard will show it. But with the metal/plastic dispensers, there's not an outward sign.

I've not encountered the deterioration others have shared about. I've used quite a few vintage blades through the years that were in both cardboard tucks as well as metal dispensers. Good question!

Top Bottom