What's new

Date that puck!

Sometimes it's a little hard for me to justify a vintage purchase, even a minor one.

Ancient (?) dirty puck in a not-particularly clean pewter bowl:
IMG_5244.jpeg

The bowl cleaned up well. I put the puck back into it and gave the whole shooting match a year or two to collect more dust elevate its mojo.

Today's comparison with recent vintage Williams Mug I think identifies the brand. Does anyone want to venture an opinion on the age? The the puck is shrunken and the scent has retreated well inside.

IMG_5245.jpeg
The underside is much more attractive. My google fu did not identify the pewter hallmark. Maybe AI knows by now.

The final test will be doing some comparison lathers and shaves, pitting it against the Williams I have in an OS mug. Unless it is a miserable failure, it will eventually live out its days grated into a shave stick.

I posted this to the WISE thread:

I loaded from this Williams puck and whipped up a thick, dense and essentially scent free lather. I let it sit for at least 15 minutes. It got a little coarser, but did not dissipate much.

It was lasting so well that I went ahead and shaved with it. I wasn't able to whip it back to its original density, but it was a good lather and a good shave.

In any case, I am a convinced shave stick user, so this puck has qualified to be grated into a twist-up. Perhaps I'll mine some scent from the core.

Photo and further notes:

IMG_5260.jpeg

<< The lather after it sat around to test its longevity.

I scraped off the surface crust before loading my brush. It was just a thin layer. Beneath to crust the top of the puck was much the same color as the bottom.

Top Bottom