What's new

Darwin Two Piece

Hello gents.

I finally made the plunge and spent more on a razor than I did on my first motorcycle. I never would have believed it just a couple years ago, but here we are.

I see lots of discussion regarding the Darwin “standard” and “original” and “deluxe”, but never about the Darwin 2-piece....

My impression is that this is a fairly aggressive razor... I am getting some really close shaves, but there is a good deal of blade feel and a light touch is required.

Anyone care to chime in with their experiences??

proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats Matt - she’s a beauty!

Sadly I got no shave info on this particular model but curious to know myself. Sounds like she shaves like my Deluxe.

Love mine!
Sadly I also can't compare it to any other Darwins,
Aggressiveness wise IMHO it's similar to the Red Tip but somehow seems a lot smoother to use.
One habit of mine is to loosen the top cap before it's final rinse.
Something to be careful of with the Darwin two piece because an accidental twist of the Handle can cause the top cap to fall off and (almost in my case) slip down the drain.

Attachments

• 15709890561266422910826509391834.jpg
    15709890561266422910826509391834.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
The two piece DARWIN has also been called the "DARWIN Adjustable" by some collectors. Like the Red Ring Eclipse, it's handle was made to be loosened or tightened to "adjust aggressiveness" . I don't cork the blade but use the razor with the handle completely tighten for the first shave on a new blade. The original DARWIN blades were thicker and offered more "spring pressure" inside the head, so after that first shave I add a shim under the blade. That not only increases blade exposure but helps hold the "Adjustment" position as the handle is loosened. Using this method, you can mimic a range of DARWIN models.

DA In Case.jpg

Note the marks on the handle just below the head like the RED Ring Eclipse.

DA On Case.jpg

Good info. Thank you for the write up and the pictures of the box. Mine came uncased and I wondered what type of box it came in.

I wonder if this is one of their “later” models... Bakelite box and all.

The two piece DARWIN has also been called the "DARWIN Adjustable" by some collectors. Like the Red Ring Eclipse, it's handle was made to be loosened or tightened to "adjust aggressiveness" . I don't cork the blade but use the razor with the handle completely tighten for the first shave on a new blade. The original DARWIN blades were thicker and offered more "spring pressure" inside the head, so after that first shave I add a shim under the blade. That not only increases blade exposure but helps hold the "Adjustment" position as the handle is loosened. Using this method, you can mimic a range of DARWIN models.

View attachment 1025908

Note the marks on the handle just below the head like the RED Ring Eclipse.
View attachment 1025909

That is an amazing razor and case, Tom :drool:

I wonder, when the topcap is off does the baseplate swivel freely on the handle? - Because it does on my Popular which is also a 2-piece?

6E2F1580-0F93-4252-9BF6-76440A7BDA82.jpeg

Yes Peter, there is a crimped washer that retains the base plate on the handle while the cap is off but allows the base to turn. Mine is loose enough to allow my 2 piece to become a 3 piece if I become careless. I've never felt compelled to resolve that but it could be I'm sure by reshaping the crimped washer.

Same with mine, however, I have never had mine come apart to become a 3-piece.

A shim sounds interesting.

I am wondering how many or what fraction of the indicator lines on the collar you are moving to?

There is on space between lines that is thinner than the others.
On my Darwin I end up on a line on the far side of that space when tightened.

Hope that makes sense.

Hello gents.

I finally made the plunge and spent more on a razor than I did on my first motorcycle. I never would have believed it just a couple years ago, but here we are.

I see lots of discussion regarding the Darwin “standard” and “original” and “deluxe”, but never about the Darwin 2-piece....

My impression is that this is a fairly aggressive razor... I am getting some really close shaves, but there is a good deal of blade feel and a light touch is required.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Hello gents.

proxy.php
proxy.php

congrats, the ‘universal’, ’adjustable’ or ‘two-piece’ delivers a close long lasting shave with finesse... the ’deluxe‘ is more authoritive and the ’standard’ is comfortable - the two-piece is the Darwin that is most satisfying, ymmv, (particularly if you drive an ev) 🙃

Congrats on a beautiful razor. Great to know that it's in the hands of someone who appreciates it. I know nothing about these, but if you like it half as much as I like my standard, you'll be well satisfied with this razor.

Wow, great acquisition. I am still looking around for an adjustable to add to my Standard and Deluxe.
Hello gents.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Question, what is the Patent Reg. number on the head of the Adjustable? is it still 243,881? I assume that the Adjustable and the Standard used the same head design. Only the Darwin DeLuxe cap has a different Reg. Number 710,725. Makes sense that the Adjustable and the Standard use the same head design.

Question, what is the Patent Reg. number on the head of the Adjustable? is it still 243,881? I assume that the Adjustable and the Standard used the same head design. Only the Darwin DeLuxe cap has a different Reg. Number 710,725. Makes sense that the Adjustable and the Standard use the same head design.

Top Bottom