What's new

Damn, feels good to be a gangsta.

I just thought I would share my utter delight. Though I'm not really a gangster. But I am unofficially a badass (by virtue of shaving with a straight).

This morning.

First time I've had a full straight shave that was really really great, which is my second full face/neck shave ever. So maybe I'm learning quickly?

DFS for sure, BBS everywhere except my upper lip/under the nose of all places.

Damn.

Three passes, ATG, the works and I had it. Ambrose this razor is a thing of beauty! And I guess my stropping must be OK, cuz it's still sharp! :lol:

I'm still taking my sweet time; I think I took about twenty minutes from pre-shave stropping to post-shave stropping. But damn it was fun!

Personal notes:

1) I'm doing it all one handed and am not really regretting it. Though learning to go lefty would probably make some stuff easier, I didn't feel hindered in the least. So, YMMV, but it works for me so I'll keep doing it!

2) Stropping. Audible cues are everything. I'm refining my technique as I go, and I feel like it's one of those classic "perfect practice makes perfect" situations. My Tony Miller is a beautiful beautiful thing. That helps keep me focused so I don't nick it!

3) ATG on the neck. I don't know what the grip's name is, but I basically run my fingers parallel to the tang, almost like a paint brush, with the scales and blade in a straight line. Sweeping upwards in a smooth motion. DAMN. Pretty exhilarating, very badass, and I got the closest neck shave to date! I have to say that this south-north neck pass is the most fun I've ever had shaving.

4) Upper lip/below the nose. Took me four passes to get this one down to size. Is ATG here reasonable? I'm thinking maybe I just wasn't confident enough with this, maybe I'll get it a little better next time.

also, to add, I can't help but recommend Kyle's prep and DR Harris Arlington (i'm using an omega boar brush)!

For my straight shaves, the combo has been impeccable!

Congrats on a good straight shave. I'm fairly new to using one as well and don't really worry about ATG with my upper lip area because my hair is thicker there so getting a BBS shave there is quite difficult. It also feels good to bea gangsta/badass :lol:

I personally don't do ATG under my nose. I do a little XTG and light buffing which works well.

XTG under the nose?

How would you describe the technique for that...basically detailed work with the tip of the blade?

XTG under the nose?

How would you describe the technique for that...basically detailed work with the tip of the blade?

This is what works best for me as well. Use the toe of the blade and Work from the corner of your mouth in to center. Keep your lip taut. Congratulations on the fine shave and those to come.:biggrin:

Wow!! I don't go ATG on my upper lip. East to west works good for me. I can also attest that Ambrose like others here can put one hell of an edge on a razor!

Top Bottom