What's new

Cyril R Salter Shaving Cream

Citrus, Almond, Fresh Mint and Lime in the cabinet. Citrus is my fav. All produce great leather. I agree with Cory on the Fresh Mint. When I opened the tub I thought I had uncorked a bottle of Creme de Menthe ligueur.

Wow, a lot of responses from this thread must mean its an awesome product, listen I've looked over the list of available flavors and I think I want the Fresh Mint, hopefully I'm not disappointed.

+1 on Vetiver, perfect lather and keeps my face extremely soft and moisterized. It's one of my creams that gives me the best shave ever. The smell is not for everyone. You love it or hate it. I'm one of the guys that seems to love it :smile:

Reviving an old thread but this seems to be the "official"/first Salter thread.

I bought Wild Rose and French Vetiver last month and thought I'd add my impressions.

The lather is good, not exceptional though. I prefer Godrej and Arko, which lubricate better and stay longer, but have been getting good shaves even if the second pass is a bit thinner. I don't mind that so much as the tub is still open and I just scoop some more and re-lather if necessary.

The fragrance of Wild Rose is not particularly great as far as roses go. I think the Damascene rose used in Trumper's skin food is much better.

The vetiver is nutty, not very smoky and quite soft once lathered up. It has great persistence even after being washed off, my skin still smelled like vetiver a good hour after the shave.

The tubs are still enormous and good value for money at the relatively lower price point of the Salter creams. The cream does not have many bubbles in it and has become noticeably more liquid and oily looking since I opened it. Could be my slightly wet finger adding moisture when I scoop it up.

Reviving an old thread but this seems to be the "official"/first Salter thread.

I bought Wild Rose and French Vetiver last month and thought I'd add my impressions.

The lather is good, not exceptional though. I prefer Godrej and Arko, which lubricate better and stay longer, but have been getting good shaves even if the second pass is a bit thinner. I don't mind that so much as the tub is still open and I just scoop some more and re-lather if necessary.

The fragrance of Wild Rose is not particularly great as far as roses go. I think the Damascene rose used in Trumper's skin food is much better.

The vetiver is nutty, not very smoky and quite soft once lathered up. It has great persistence even after being washed off, my skin still smelled like vetiver a good hour after the shave.

The tubs are still enormous and good value for money at the relatively lower price point of the Salter creams. The cream does not have many bubbles in it and has become noticeably more liquid and oily looking since I opened it. Could be my slightly wet finger adding moisture when I scoop it up.

I have been using these creams for about the past year. They have become my favorite cream, as they can take quite a bit of water and I like wetter creams. I have noticed this summer that when my house gets hot, we try to avoid using A/C when possible, that some of the oils will separate out of the cream. It is not a lot of fluid, but there is some separation. I have been able to stir it back in with my finger, but I have found it works fine to leave as is. I typically just dip my brush in, instead of scooping some out with my finger.

Ah yes, could be that. It's around 25-30 celsius in my bathroom in the morning until I open the door and connect it to the A/C part of the flat.

My nose is very sensitive to anything remotely smoky, and I smell smoke even in mild vetivers where others don't pick it up, but to me the Salter vetiver is VERY smoky. It smells like a swamp fire. Can't STAND the scent. Worst scent in all of shaving, as far as I'm concerned.

YMMV.

Salter's vetiver smells like vomit and dirt. Not a pleasant smell, in my book, but I guess some people like it. It's not for the faint of heart, so make sure that you appreciate dirty, earthy scents, before you buy it.

The other scents smell wonderful, in any case.

have a tub of Cyril Salter rose and enjoy it!
Perhaps not the thickest lather on the planet, but totally acceptable and fully scented!
Huge tub, great value!

$cyril salter rose shavemac gillette slim roberts czech speake 88 december 19 2014.jpg

I have the Salter rose as well. I plan on getting a couple more when I thin out some stuff. I have about a dozen creams and Salter is one of my best. Just seems to work great for me.

My nose is very sensitive to anything remotely smoky, and I smell smoke even in mild vetivers where others don't pick it up, but to me the Salter vetiver is VERY smoky. It smells like a swamp fire. Can't STAND the scent. Worst scent in all of shaving, as far as I'm concerned.

YMMV.

I bought the Vetiver last December and agreed with this and even wrote several posts with how much I hated the scent. I resolved myself to start using it in June, as I might as well try it. At first I really hated it but by the time I got half way through the tub the scent had started to grow on me. Now I nearing the end of the tub, will probably finish next week, and it is now one of my favorite scents and I will definitely rebuy once I get through my other Salter creams.

I bought the Vetiver last December and agreed with this and even wrote several posts with how much I hated the scent. I resolved myself to start using it in June, as I might as well try it. At first I really hated it but by the time I got half way through the tub the scent had started to grow on me. Now I nearing the end of the tub, will probably finish next week, and it is now one of my favorite scents and I will definitely rebuy once I get through my other Salter creams.

My experience with the Vetiver was similar. It may be an acquired taste. To me it smells like dry tobacco, shoe polish and a hint of vanilla. Extremely masculine. I tested it on my wife and she loved the scent. The cream itself is like in quality to Castle Forbes, but more whipped as someone said, so easier to work. Great price. Great shave cream.

I recently purchased the mint. It lathers up well and provides a nice post shave feel. The scent is difficult to describe, but l did not find it to be overpowering or offensive.

Just ordered the vetiver and wild rose. Never have used Salter's before and am eager to give it a try. I usually use Kent, Proraso and TOBS. Can't wait!

Top Bottom