What's new

Cursive Writing

Very interesting article. I have to say I was teaching special education in Chicago in a classroom of 6-8th grade children with moderate cognitive delays(think lower functioning autism, down syndrome, traumatic brain injury, etc.) These children essentially functioned like a 3-6 year old typically would. There were a few of the children that were a bit faster at the lessons when I was first starting to differentiate them and judge the capacities of each of the students. Something I taught these particular children was how to write in cursive. I really did this as something to pacify the time as I was scrambling to develop lessons(first year teacher, no curriculum, no administrative support, it was Chicago after all) however it ended up backfiring in a way. The four kids I had writing in cursive really caught on. They loved the instant gratification of seeing their "art" on paper and looking at the pages from the weeks before to see their improvement. They also started doing really well with their other work and completing it more quickly so they could get back to learning cursive. I ended up adding a station to my rotation for the second half of each school day and these kids taught the other kids how to do it. It gave them agency which wasn't something they had really experienced before. My principal walked in towards the end of the school year(his first visit mind you, at the END of the school year) and literally dropped his jaw when he saw these kids that had been entirely written off signing their names in cursive on the white board. It was pretty awesome. (tangent much? sorry)

Yesterday I read that somewhere in California, Apple made a $30M deal for iPads with a school board. No more pencils, no more books ...

Yesterday I read that somewhere in California, Apple made a $30M deal for iPads with a school board. No more pencils, no more books ...

Cause every kid should be able to Facebook whenever they want during the school day.

What a waste.

Interesting article. On a side note, I have found that my grades on tests (i'm in grad school) are better when I write in cursive rather than print.

Top Bottom