What's new

Curious about Blade brands for my razor (Wilkinson Sword)

Hey Everyone,

New here and new to the world of shaving with a safety razor. I was given the Wilkinson Sword Classic Safety Razor for Christmas and have been loving it. So far I have only used the blades that came with it and from my understanding the Wilkinson Sword blades are a fairly mild blade and that certain razors are more or less aggressive than others and certain brand blades work better with them. So I was curious if anyone is using the same type of razor as me and what their blade choice is? I hear Feather is the best blade?

Are you talking about the plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic or the metal WS Classic TTO?
Wilkinson and Personna both work well for me in the TTO model.
YMMV

I second the blade sampler suggestion. Individual tastes and beards vary too much so you should try a variety. Feather blades are very sharp and should be approached with respect. You can find sampler packs at Amazon and most online shaving shops.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would try a few different blade sampler packs and see what you like. Blades are very subjective and we all have our favourites that work for us but may not work for you.

I concur with getting a sampler pack. If you are new to DE shaving, I would avoid Feathers as you may end up needing a transfusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not have a WS Classic razor, but it is my understanding that it is a fairly mild razor. However, just because the razor is mild, so not assume that the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades made in Germany are equally mild. Although they are not quite as sharp as Feather blades on the first shave, after the coating starts to wear off, they are every bit as sharp as Feather blades.

I have a tough beard and sensitive skin. However, I find that using a very sharp blade in a mild razor is a good pairing. It allows me to shave my coarse beard without irritating my face.

As with several of the previous posts, I highly recommend that you try a blade sampler pack. However, if you have not experienced significant problems with cuts and irritation when using the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades, I would suggest that your look for a sampler that contains some of the sharper blades: Feather, BIC Chrome Platinum, Nacet, PermaSharp Super, 7 O'Clock Platinum Black, Personna Israeli Reds and Astra Superior Stainless blues to go along with the German Wilkinson Sword Classic Blades.

If you do not need blades as sharp as these, then blades like Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod, 7 O'Clock Greens, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Branded Wilkinson Sword, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver, 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow, and Astra SP may work for you. Then there are the less well-known Shark Platinum, SuperMax Blue Diamond and Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 blades that may also work.

Because there are so many blades, so many razors and so many different beard and skin types, the best way to find out which works best for you is to try at least a dozen different blade types. Some sample packs only come with one or two of each blade, but I suggest looking for packs that contain a minimum of five of each blade as 1-2 blade may not be sufficient for you to determine whether it is suitable for you.

Since you have started to like shaving with a DE razor, you might want to pick up a second razor, either identical to your first or perhaps something like an Edwin Jagger DE89 or Merkur 34C. They might be slightly more aggressive than the WS, but not so much so that they will difficult to use. When testing new blades, I like to compare the new blade to one of my favorite blades in an identical razor, shaving one side of my face with one razor and the opposite side with another razor so I can really evaluate the blade characteristics.

Top Bottom