What's new

Crazy question: spray painting a razor

I think I will try, but I am going to give it a lot more time for the primer to cure before I top it. I am also going to thread the head on a long bolt so I can turn it upside down to spray.

I have an old Slant razor made of aluminium. It does not look too good, I don't know the brand (first I thought it was hand made). I was thinking about adding a Lord handle to it and refinish it with airbrushing porcelain paint on it then baking it. Anyone tried this method?

Because it is an old thread, the pictures probably got deleted at some point. But it's a good thread to revive because I would like to know what the options are. Old razors are usually nickel plated which can cause nickel allergy. You can remove the nickel but brass tarnishes and it often contains lead. Replating or coating in gunkote or cerakote is great but not economical. Can you spray paint and cover in some kind of clearcoat, but what kinds of clearcoat are there, where can you find them and is there any toxicity! Or how about nail polish. And what is porcelain paint and doest it work well? It sounds like a kind of enamel which would be too thick I think.
Or how about zinkspray, a spray that adds a layer of zink to the object. And there must be many more things you can do to coat a razor. Any DIY veterans have any ideas?

So I just won a couple of Razors on EBAY and I'm looking to paint them this thread helps a lot. Especially if the chrome is in very rough condition when I finally get them. I'm thinking of turning them into something fun just to display (or a fun project).

Interested in seeing your results. I got a couple of razors off ebay recently where one head looks like it is starting to have plating issues underneath the top cap and the other on the top cap itself. I did a test run on an unused chrome top cap and can tell you right now that appliance epoxy is not the way to go. It leave a coat that is a little too thick and doesn't stick well to chrome (even after sanding it to the point of not being shiny anymore).

Replating would be my first choice, but if the razor wasn't worth the investment and I wanted to go the paint route I would probably buy a quality enamel paint and some thinner. I'd thin the enamel so it doesn't go on too think and detract from any machining on the handle or stamps on the head. If a 2 or 3 piece, I'd probably disassemble, and dip in very thinned enamel, taking care not to foul the threads. Allow to dry, dip again as needed, repeat if necessary, then air dry probably followed up by a bit of baking. (Don't think I would ever attempt to paint a tto)

Enamels are super hard, durable, and can be polished to a glass like surface if desired. I'd imagine it would look good and stay looking good longer than any other paint/clear combo.

Imho.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Since any thread is worthless without pics ... I took a few of a Tech I painted some years ago.
Lots of use, I even lent it out to a friend. Shaves OK, looks way better than it did. Couple scratches/chips.
Minimal prep, sprayed with a ceramic exhaust header coating, thin coat, then baked. Not perfect but I only spent 5 minutes and could redo it in only a little more time. Next time I'd use a primer and enamel.
And some damage occurred as I assembled it before curing ... oops.

PT1.JPG
PT2.JPG
PT4.JPG

Since any thread is worthless without pics ... I took a few of a Tech I painted some years ago.
Lots of use, I even lent it out to a friend. Shaves OK, looks way better than it did. Couple scratches/chips.
Minimal prep, sprayed with a ceramic exhaust header coating, thin coat, then baked. Not perfect but I only spent 5 minutes and could redo it in only a little more time. Next time I'd use a primer and enamel.

View attachment 798648 View attachment 798649 View attachment 798650

Excellent job...good idea!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

View attachment 798648 View attachment 798649 View attachment 798650

It may not be perfect but I bet you'll get better at it as you have learned a few things about it.

Use something like Dura-Coat, which is air dried or Gun-Kote which is an oven baked (home oven) finish. Far more durable than most of the rattle can spray paints out there. I finished one AR type rifle in Dura-Coat and it has held up very well.

A little over 40 years ago I refinished an old metal toddlers high stool with Krylon(I think). It looked rather grainy and was not drying quick enough so the parts that would fit were put into the oven for a while. The paint flowed out very smooth, hard and glossy, and held up extremely well.

Top Bottom