What's new

Couple questions, fellas

I have a few questions I'd appreciate some insight on. I've been using DE safety for a while now but am sick of not being able to control the angle like I could with my Parker SR1 shavette(ex stole it when we split) so I'm in the market for some daily shavers so I've been doing some research and have narrowed it down to Weck Sextoblade and Feather AC SS.

First, are the regular Sextoblade and the military/medical variant the same thing apart from a different scale?

Second, must it be an actual old school Sextoblade or would something like this work? weck razors - Google Shopping - https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11443910051305173943?q=weck+razors&client=ms-android-cricket-us-revc&biw=360&bih=582&tbs=vw:l,mr:1,mp:5739680734216435095,seller:7930886,ss:44&prmd=sinv&sxsrf=ALeKk01HWHO8ut6yaYuDAQIlkBzCUFGJsA:1596850242257&prds=epd:3052843663033880361,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1

Third - I have seen several people recommend "rounding" off shavette blades to make them more forgiving. Could somebody provide more information and please clarify exactly how to do so?

Fourth - the aforementioned rounding would apply only to the Sextoblade, as Feather AC blades are rounded by default if I'm not mistaken, right?

Fifth - Corking blades.. Do you use an actual cork? What is the technique?

Finally, is there a particular site you recommend for purchasing a Sextoblade? Feather AC I'll just use Amazon but I'm having a hard time finding a Sextoblade in decent shape.

And finally, blade recommendations for the sexto? (for the feather AC I'm going to start with proguard and pro)

I have other questions regarding decent soaps and brushes but that should be easy to research in the mean time.

Last edited:
Let me clarify, I intend on getting both the weck AND the Feather. This is not a comparison between the two.

...just in case my original post didn't make this apparent

The Feather AC blades are rounded. IMO if you are getting the SS then you do not need the guarded blades, as the SS is forgiving and mild enough that you will not benefit from the extra protection. Since you are already familar with DE shavettes and will be using the Weck.

It's all in the name U Nic
unic.jpg

I have a few questions I'd appreciate some insight on. I've been using DE safety for a while now but am sick of not being able to control the angle like I could with my Parker SR1 shavette(ex stole it when we split) so I'm in the market for some daily shavers so I've been doing some research and have narrowed it down to Weck Sextoblade and Feather AC SS.

First, are the regular Sextoblade and the military/medical variant the same thing apart from a different scale?

Second, must it be an actual old school Sextoblade or would something like this work? weck razors - Google Shopping - weck razors - Google Shopping - https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11443910051305173943?q=weck+razors&client=ms-android-cricket-us-revc&biw=360&bih=582&tbs=vw:l,mr:1,mp:5739680734216435095,seller:7930886,ss:44&prmd=sinv&sxsrf=ALeKk01HWHO8ut6yaYuDAQIlkBzCUFGJsA:1596850242257&prds=epd:3052843663033880361,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1

Third - I have seen several people recommend "rounding" off shavette blades to make them more forgiving. Could somebody provide more information and please clarify exactly how to do so?

Fourth - the aforementioned rounding would apply only to the Sextoblade, as Feather AC blades are rounded by default if I'm not mistaken, right?

Fifth - Corking blades.. Do you use an actual cork? What is the technique?

Finally, is there a particular site you recommend for purchasing a Sextoblade? Feather AC I'll just use Amazon but I'm having a hard time finding a Sextoblade in decent shape.

And finally, blade recommendations for the sexto? (for the feather AC I'm going to start with proguard and pro)

I have other questions regarding decent soaps and brushes but that should be easy to research in the mean time.

First -yes.

Second - The link doesn't say it uses the same blades but it looks like it would be fine.
Ask the seller.
Edit, the store actually says shaper blades so yes it would work.

Third - some blades have very sharp corners, especially the Weck or Personna blades.
Slightly round them on an abrasive so its not 90% will make it less likely to nick you with the end of it.

Fourth - see Third.

Fifth - for those that do, yes, they use an actual or piece of cork. It is completely unnecessary IMO. You either will like the blade or you wont. Why buy a blade that needs a treatment before use?

Finally - Ebay you can find a decent one there easily.

And finally - Personna

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I just run the corners edgewise on the bathroom mirror when I think about it. I really don’t have any problem with the corners any longer.

I don’t find corking at all necessary but if you do it, just use a wine bottle cork and lightly draw the edge over it.

I use a Parker SR-1 and have found it to an excellent shavette - comfortable and great shaves consistently.

I generally use traditional straights but periodically use a shavette for a week of shaves.

Top Bottom