What's new

Corn Cob Pipe Questions.

Hello All
I am thinking of purchasing a Corn Cob Pipe, been looking on ebay. I am new to pipe smoking.
Have a few questions:
1. Are Corn Cob Pipes all the same quality?
2. Some mention that they have filters, and some don't mention filters at all, if they don't mention filters, does that mean that they don't have one?
3. I guess that one would want a filter, but would like some feedback some from some experienced corncob smokers.
4. How long would the filters last, like in how many pipe full of tobacco.
5. Is there any advantage to getting a curved stem over a straight stem.
6. As they are quite inexpensive, I am wondering how long they will last, do you just throw them away after a while and get a new one?
Any suggestions or comments are highly appreciated.
Thanks

I've no experience with anything other than Missouri Meerchaum, so I can't speak to #1, but MM are so inexpensive, I can't imagine any reason to buy anything else from eBay and take a chance on getting something that may be contaminated.

Filters, just because it is not mentioned does not mean it does not have one. Virtually all of the <$50 pipes you see in smoke shops have either a filter or a steel stinger. The intent is to keep the dottle from being inhaled.
Personally, I prefer no filter. They are a hassle and dirty to change, they act as a condensation point for moisture and make the pipe smoke wet, and they are an ongoing expense.
I've replaced the stems on my MM's with "Forever Stems" that are unfiltered.

Bent vs straight is personal preference. Bent will tend to smoke drier in that condensation will tend to run to the bottom, but it may then "gurgle", and can still be drawn... not pleasant. But it's primarily aesthetic. I own 13 pipes. One MM is straight, the other is bent. Of the rest, all but two have some degree of bend. But in that regard, condensation that extreme is generally the result of a low quality tobacco with excessive moisture, and/or simply puffing too fast and hard. It's often a big problem for new pipe smokers.

My cobs are my "emergency backup"... I run my pipes in a rotation to allow them to properly dry between uses, but sometimes I'm rushed in the morning and forget to grab one, or I simply don't plan to smoke that day and leave the briar behind.
The two cops live in my glovebox, so they are available any time.

And you really do want to get a few so they can properly dry out between uses. Personally, for cob or briar, I allow at least 2-3 days between uses.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
1. No make sure it is a Missouri Meerschaum and not a cheap(er) knock off
2. Maybe maybe not. A couple of the MM cobs are unfiltered. Check Corncobpipe.com it will say whether or not a particular model accepts a filter or not
3. I don't use them
4. Until they taste bad. Someone else may be able to give you a better estimate.
5. Curved pipes tend to clench better due to their lower center of gravity, if the pipe you are looking at has an orange stem get the straight version. The bend in the orange bits is more of a kink and it's impossible to clean well with a pipe cleaner. Mostly it's whatever you like the looks of.
6.They'll last a long time if you take care of them.

They are good pipes meant to be disposable, but they have no break in period and they smoke quite cool. Some have filters inside the stem and last for a few smokes, most guys don't use them since they absorb some of the tobacco taste, but try it and see if you like them. Bent or straight, just whatever you like the look of and feel of in your hand. I personally would just go to a local drug store or pipe shop and pick one up as you pick up some tobacco. Carter Hall is my favorite over the counter pipe tobacco and it smokes great from a Cobb! Enjoy your smoke!

I was going to pipe in (sorry bad pun) but it looks like Rich and Derrick hit the nail on the head. Be sure to pick up pipe cleaners and if you don't have a good sized nail or golf tee I'd pick up a pipe tool!

Happy Smoking,

Welcome to another wallet draining hobby!

Others have answered quite well on your questions in general, so I'll skip to #6 and toss my $.02 in.
I smoke a cob every day, I own 4 of them. They smoke better than some briars I own and if you take moderate care of them they can last for decades just like briar and they take far more abuse and come back for more. Plus honestly if you destroy one grab another $6 and buy another one. You torch a $400 Dunhill and it hurts pretty bad.

Carter Hall is an absolutely beautiful thing in a cob. Match made in heaven so to speak and is one of the only tobaccos I smoke out of my cobs (I'll play with a couple aromatics to make the room smell good) and you can get it everywhere.
Most of the kickback you get about cobs is what I consider snobbery. Just like any other hobby, some guys are all about the gear whether or not it really performs better or you just pay more for it. Plus if you find out you just aren't cut out to be a pipe smoker you're out about $10 between tobacco and pipe. Not a huge investment to eat if you have to.

4. Until they taste bad. Someone else may be able to give you a better estimate.

I would say the paper filters (Dr Grabow, and Medico being the two main brands) are good for 3-4 bowls. They are .10 cents each ($1 per box of 10), and many feel it's a needless ongoing expense.

You can try cutting the filter in half, filling the area the filter occupies with a small section of bent in half pipe filter, using the Savinelli 6mm balsa filters instead, or simply using no filter at all.

I personally don't like the feel/ draw of a corn cob pipe with no filter in it, so I have been replacing the factory stems with fancier stems that also have the added benefit of converting the pipe to be non-filtered.

Here is my Washington (blue stem), and Country Gentleman (orange stem) pipes with replacement stems I bought from an Ebay seller named "corncobpipes":

$IMG_0030.jpg

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Missouri Meeschaums are available at CVS and Walgreens. The ones I have seen have a filter, which I chunk. IMO they do nothing but make you draw harder and cut down on the flavor. Should you eventually want a forever stem, these are made to compensate for the lack of filter. I haven't seen a need for one, yet.

MM cobs are awesome, both in how well they smoke and the low cost. If only I could translate that awesome, relight free experience to my briars... bah.

Thanks for the insight guys.
I have 2 on the way, and a few more bids on ebay waiting.
Now on to the Tobacco, seems harder to get in canada.

Top Bottom