What's new

CopaCabana by Barry Manilow

Mall wants Manilow music to drive out unruly teens

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – It'll be Barry Manilow versus the mall rats. The New Zealand city of Christchurch hopes that putting the American crooner's smooth and gentle tones into the mix of music to be broadcast through the central mall district can pacify unruly teens who congregate there_ or at least convince them to go elsewhere.

"The intention is to change the environment in a positive way ... so nobody feels threatened or intimidated," Central City Business Association manager Paul Lonsdale told The Associated Press. "I did not say Barry Manilow is a weapon of mass destruction."

A group of several dozen young people regularly spread rubbish, spray graffiti, get intoxicated, use drugs, swear and intimidate patrons at the outdoor mall, he said.

The city council, police and local property owners covering 410 businesses agree that "nice, easy listening" music like Manilow's "Can't Smile Without You," "Mandy" and other hits might change the behavior of loitering teens.
But one 16-year-old told The Press newspaper that unfashionable music wouldn't deter them.

"We would just bring a stereo and play it louder," Emma Belcher said.
Lonsdale countered that the city would then hit them with anti-noise laws.

I like it! Seems like active deterrents (e.g policing) might be better than this passive one, but definite points for creativity.

I do, however, feel sorry for mall employees. Especially ones named Mandy. :frown:

slcsteve, perhaps you should forward a copy of your post over to those folks at the multi-cinema over in Ft. Worth that have been having issues with un-chaperoned youth.

Meanwhile, the conga line forms behind me whilst CopaCabana fills the airwaves. :biggrin:

slcsteve, perhaps you should forward a copy of your post over to those folks at the multi-cinema over in Ft. Worth that have been having issues with un-chaperoned youth.

Meanwhile, the conga line forms behind me whilst CopaCabana fills the airwaves. :biggrin:

Sorry but there has been a Manilow ban in place in Fort Worth for many years. Is lethal force a suitable substitute?

Cruel. And unusual. That would keep me out of the mall and I am even that unruly.

Hi,

I agree it is a cruel and unusual punishment. A Sydney council tried it here, Rockdale Council south of Sydney has tried playing Barry Manilo and turning the street lighting pink in a parking area at Brighton Le Sands where unruly youths gather to street race and generally hoon around in their cars. Now I cannot say how successful it has been but, come to think of it I have not heard of too much trouble coming from there for a while.

I wonder what Barry Manilo thinks about it and no I do not think Brighton Le Sands is the Copacabana of South Sydney :lol:

You can read about it here

Cheers,

Adam

PS. With Barry Manilo and pink street lighting I would have thought street hoons would be replaced by a gathering a gay men (not that there's anything wrong with that). :lol:

I think it would have worked better if it wasn't known publicly that the music is there as a deterrent. Now that the teens know the mall is trying to use it to drive them away they can actively oppose it.

That's funny...

When I worked at a bookstore we had a Barry Manilow greatest hits CD as one of our instore plays...we would always play it when we wanted people to starte leaving (end of the night) or when we had too many "unruly teens."

Works like a charm.

It didn't go over so well when I played it for our reshelving/straightening time after we closed...but it accomplished my goal of having people work faster to get out of there sooner.

That did a similar thing at our local library. Instead of Barry, they blast classical music. I don't know which is worse, Barry or Bach.:confused::confused::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom