What's new

"Cooked" TOBS Lemon and Lime

I received a tub of TOBS L&L through the mail. It may have stood outdoors, in the Houston heat, for awhile, and perhaps got some outside time during the delivery process. Anyway, when I opened it, it had the consistency of goop, like pudding that hasn't set yet. It also didn't have a fresh L&L smell. In fact, it smelled a bit oily, petro oily, not EO oily.

The seller says its probably the heat, but I never had this pblm before. Also, the seller says the rest of his batch is less solid than the other TOBS creams so it must be the type of cream. Finally, he said the L&L is very faint smelling. I don't know, first time I'm using it.

I put it in the fridge overnight and it gelled but quickly went goopy again when left out.

Any of you guys have a diagnosis?

I received a tub of TOBS L&L through the mail. It may have stood outdoors, in the Houston heat, for awhile, and perhaps got some outside time during the delivery process. Anyway, when I opened it, it had the consistency of goop, like pudding that hasn't set yet. It also didn't have a fresh L&L smell. In fact, it smelled a bit oily, petro oily, not EO oily.

The seller says its probably the heat, but I never had this pblm before. Also, the seller says the rest of his batch is less solid than the other TOBS creams so it must be the type of cream. Finally, he said the L&L is very faint smelling. I don't know, first time I'm using it.

I put it in the fridge overnight and it gelled but quickly went goopy again when left out.

Any of you guys have a diagnosis?

My tub has a mighty strong L&L scent and is pretty consistent, not runny at all. I accept your seller's point that it isn't as solid as their lavender, for instance, but it shouldn't be runny, so I think he might be stretching his point. I guess it must have been the heat, although I don't know if that accounts for the absence of scent; but of course YMMV and all that.

I've had two TOBS creams, Lavender and Sandalwood, that have turned to goop at this point, probably about a year. I thought it was just mointure that has seeped into the container over time, but this may be indicative of older creams. Maybe yours is older stock? Have you tried shaving with it yet?

I've had two TOBS creams, Lavender and Sandalwood, that have turned to goop at this point, probably about a year. I thought it was just mointure that has seeped into the container over time, but this may be indicative of older creams. Maybe yours is older stock? Have you tried shaving with it yet?

I shaved with it this morning. Lather is fine but the smell leaves much to be desired. I think its a total loss but I wanted to know whether its the nature of this cream or just that its a bad tub.

The goop is no big deal - Taylors is just like that sometimes, but as you said it still lathers up just fine. The scent, however, is clearly unacceptable. If you keep it, try adding some EO of your own to the mix.

How goopy is it?

I have old and new TOBS tubs and none are goopy or runny.

I think if you or the person who had the cream before you dipped a wet brush into the cream instead of scooping out cream, that might have affected the consistency.

If the smell is off, then heat could be a factor, but my TOBS sandalwood that I bought a few years ago from classicshaving.com was a bit runny when I got it, but it was 100+ outside in the middle of August. The cream stabilized within a day and the scent is as strong as ever. I only scoop out cream with my index finger though.

Too much water, heat, or perhaps something else (unscented SC filler, etc). If not happy I would contact the seller to work something out.

How goopy is it?

I have old and new TOBS tubs and none are goopy or runny.

I think if you or the person who had the cream before you dipped a wet brush into the cream instead of scooping out cream, that might have affected the consistency.

If the smell is off, then heat could be a factor, but my TOBS sandalwood that I bought a few years ago from classicshaving.com was a bit runny when I got it, but it was 100+ outside in the middle of August. The cream stabilized within a day and the scent is as strong as ever. I only scoop out cream with my index finger though.

Too much water, heat, or perhaps something else (unscented SC filler, etc). If not happy I would contact the seller to work something out.

Its downright runny and the scent is off. I got a 50% credit since I didn't want to go throught the trouble of mailing it back, etc. I chalked it up to a mistake. It seems the cream is bad and its not the nature of the beast which is what I was looking to find out. TOBS is a quality product and i would not expect a lettle heat in teh mailing process would change that. I am going to ditch it. Life's too short to use bad cream......

Try putting it in the refridgerator over night and see if that thickens it up. When I order my hydrolast stuff from enchante it arrives watery as all hell. He told me to leave the cover off for a few days and it would thicken up. He also said that if I was in a hurry to put it in the fridge and that would speed things up as well. Both worked great and havne't gotten runny again. Just a thought

Try putting it in the refridgerator over night and see if that thickens it up. When I order my hydrolast stuff from enchante it arrives watery as all hell. He told me to leave the cover off for a few days and it would thicken up. He also said that if I was in a hurry to put it in the fridge and that would speed things up as well. Both worked great and havne't gotten runny again. Just a thought

It thickens up in the fridge but then gets runny again.

Dennis,
The cream sounds like it is possibly too warm. I can't speak for another's product but I know SCS shave creme will thin some if too warm. It will again firm up when stored in the 70's. In an un-airconditioned room into the high 80's is too warm. Try giving it a good stir, lightly cover it and put it into the frig for 8 hours and see if that helps.
Sue

Dennis,
The cream sounds like it is possibly too warm. I can't speak for another's product but I know SCS shave creme will thin some if too warm. It will again firm up when stored in the 70's. In an un-airconditioned room into the high 80's is too warm. Try giving it a good stir, lightly cover it and put it into the frig for 8 hours and see if that helps.
Sue

Thanks SUE. I had it in the fridge and it firms up. But it gets runny again when I leave it out. My house is consistently 70-72 so I would think that would be it. I did not stor it so I'll try that.

Sounds like you got some of the new formula. They changed it a while back and it is now making it's way through the stock and into homes and leaves a lot to be desired.

My avocado and rose get runny like you describe, but not the lavendar. I just go with it. Smells seems fine and they lather up nicely. It gets hot in my bathroom during the summer. I don't leave the air conditioner on constantly.

With my S/C; as shown on the photos I had posted awhile back of how I make it; part of the recipe process is on the stove at a rolling boil.

If left too hot it sometimes thins back out, not to liquid but runny. This does not seem to affect it's shaving quality. I haven't a clue how others such as Creighton or the other many bulk sellers/vendors make their shave creme though. (Ya' think maybe they'll post a photo slideshow too :)

I've often thought if it was possible to keep it at a thinner state, it would make a good travel cream in a small squeeze bottle, tube or 2 or 3 use disposable that wouldn't even require a brush.

Did a stir and cooling help?
Sue

With my S/C; as shown on the photos I had posted awhile back of how I make it; part of the recipe process is on the stove at a rolling boil.

If left too hot it sometimes thins back out, not to liquid but runny. This does not seem to affect it's shaving quality. I haven't a clue how others such as Creighton or the other many bulk sellers/vendors make their shave creme though. (Ya' think maybe they'll post a photo slideshow too :)

I've often thought if it was possible to keep it at a thinner state, it would make a good travel cream in a small squeeze bottle, tube or 2 or 3 use disposable that wouldn't even require a brush.

Sue

I'm leaving it open in my bathroom, around 70 degrees. I did stir it. I have the Avocado cream and its a lot more liquid. I will use it a couple of times but I may go to a local store to check out a new tub and see if its the same consistency and has a similar scent. I'll report back. Thanks for all the replies.

It has been documented that there is a difference in the consistency of TOBS creams from tub to tub. My tub of Lime is a bit softer than all my other TOBS creams. But when you mention that your Avocado is more liquid that is just not right. The consistency of my tub of Avocado is not runny or liquid. It is thicker than the Lime. Do all of your creams have the same runny consistency regardless of brand?

Raf

Sue

Sue, do you have a link to those pics? I tried to search for them but came up empty handed. Sounds really interesting.

It has been documented that there is a difference in the consistency of TOBS creams from tub to tub. My tub of Lime is a bit softer than all my other TOBS creams. But when you mention that your Avocado is more liquid that is just not right. The consistency of my tub of Avocado is not runny or liquid. It is thicker than the Lime. Do all of your creams have the same runny consistency regardless of brand?

Raf

Sorry! Avocado a lot LESS liquid. My error.

Top Bottom