What's new

Considering a WTG DE pass before using straight

I am considering doing a DE WTG pass to start followed by a a pass or two with my straight razor. Is this a good idea for beginners? Has anyone done this before? I know some posts state to follow up with a safety razor to finish areas missed.
Thanks!

I have never done what you suggest but I do not see why you should not try it. Just go for it, if it feels right for you, do it. IMO, the most important thing when learning to shave with a straight is to stay safe and that means to never do something you do not feel ready for. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

BigOregon,

If it is good for you, have at it :smile:

The goal is to have a comfortable, and as Gustav has said, safe shave.

If using a DE for the WTG pass aids these goals for you, then you are being most pragmatic and sensible :smile:

Good luck !

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
No, I wouldn't bother. Just start with a light WTG pass of the straight. Don't try to remove your beard... the first pass is all about reducing your beard. Do a second pass and go for it. This simple WTG-WTG straight shave is an ideal beginner's shave and I often use that approach myself, especially if I have gone a couple of days without shaving. Using your DE for a first pass is probably going to be an impediment to rapid learning. It gives you more gear to clean up when you are done. You are using a throw-away blade, and one reason for straight shaving in the first place is to not buy stuff that you will use a few times and then toss. I say if you want a straight shave, shave with your straight. If you want a DE shave, shave with the DE. No point in using both. And especially the first pass... a straight is, well, pretty much clog proof. A DE can load up with crud on a first pass if you have a lot of growth. JM2C.

No, I wouldn't bother. Just start with a light WTG pass of the straight. Don't try to remove your beard... the first pass is all about reducing your beard. Do a second pass and go for it. This simple WTG-WTG straight shave is an ideal beginner's shave and I often use that approach myself, especially if I have gone a couple of days without shaving. Using your DE for a first pass is probably going to be an impediment to rapid learning. It gives you more gear to clean up when you are done. You are using a throw-away blade, and one reason for straight shaving in the first place is to not buy stuff that you will use a few times and then toss. I say if you want a straight shave, shave with your straight. If you want a DE shave, shave with the DE. No point in using both. And especially the first pass... a straight is, well, pretty much clog proof. A DE can load up with crud on a first pass if you have a lot of growth. JM2C.

+1

I am considering doing a DE WTG pass to start followed by a a pass or two with my straight razor. Is this a good idea for beginners? Has anyone done this before? I know some posts state to follow up with a safety razor to finish areas missed.
Thanks!

I say: 'Nah'. Go for it with the straight. I don't think you're gaining anything substantial with the DE.
My $0.02.

The first time I shaved with a straight, I was being extremely careful, and was a bit nervous. Shave just went horribly.... even after watching videos and such you still have to figure out how to hold the thing for the direction you're shaving that works for you... lather was drying out it was taking so long. Over all, just a horrible experience.... but even so... my cheeks were so smooth, and no irritation. So for the next shave... I just went for it... I was still careful, but without the fear of bleeding to death that I had the first time, so much more confident. Been hooked ever since. So I would echo the others, forgo the DE and just use the straight, I think you will pick up technique and learn much faster. If you use a DE for the first pass, or cleanup with it afterwards, just seems like it would become a crutch and slow down the whole process. In the back of your head you would know "well, even if it's lackluster, I can always fix it with a DE". That's how my brain works anyway, YMMV.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think the wisdom behind using a DE first is to minimize pulling that the beginner gets when shaving heavy growth with a WTG stroke. If the beard is reduced on the DE pass, the second pass with the straight will glide relatively easily for the newbie.

I personally just jumped in and went for it. If you find the first pass significantly difficult for you for some reason, going with a DE first may help, but YMMV.

I just started shaving with a kai excelcia razor. I do as much as I can with my straight. Then I do a final clean up pass with the DE. That ensures a clean shave. And I get to see what spots I need to work on.

Well, I just wanted to let you all know, I decided that if I have the time, than I straight shave until I am complete, if I am short on time than I use my DE :)
I'm still on my first week of straight shaving

Since I only shave every 3 or 4 days, I usually do the first pass with my open comb DE, followed by the second and any cleanup passes with my straight. This works just fine for me, and gives me an excellent shave.

Its all about whatever works for you and gives you the best shave. So go ahead and see if this is the right combo for you. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom