What's new

Coniston Cut Plug Unscented

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't post much in the brown leaf area, as I'm only an occasional smoker, and I don't collect pipes nor stockpile pipe tobacco. I just buy the occasional 25g of Kendal tobaccos, usually flavoured shag, and once in a blue moon I'll treat myself to something like a tin of Squadron Leader.

I fancied a change today, and decided to revisit Coniston Cut Plug, which I haven't had since I was battling to give up the cigs a couple of years ago. I knew it was robust, but forgot just how much a punch this packs. I loaded a Mizzou cob this afternoon, folded and stuffed, with a little rubbed out "kindling" on top, and by the time I'd charred, tamped, and got her fired back up, I needed a sit down. :lol:

Wow, that's potent stuff.

The last time I smoked this, I was really struggling with kicking the cigs, and can remember loading up a Washington cob, and working through it in one sitting. How the heck I did that, I'm not sure. I've revisited that bowl three times in the last 6 hours, for a couple of puffs, and I'm still only halfway down it. Not an all day smoke by a long way, but certainly a tobacco I'll keep revisiting when I want something with more body than my usual light smokes.

Any other Coniston fans here?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The Great and Powerful Kentos just sent me a sample. Really excited to try it now.

Is Dark Plug the uncut version of Coniston Cut? If it is I really like it. It’s also seems to fade in and out of stock so get whenever you can.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is Dark Plug the uncut version of Coniston Cut? If it is I really like it. It’s also seems to fade in and out of stock so get whenever you can.

Dark Plug is equal measures of Malawi dark fired leaf, and Indian dark air-cured.

Coniston is 75% dark fired leaf, 12.5% Malawi burley, and 12.5% Virginia

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Dark Plug is equal measures of Malawi dark fired leaf, and Indian dark air-cured.

Coniston is 75% dark fired leaf, 12.5% Malawi burley, and 12.5% Virginia

Ah, there should be some noticable differences. Adding that to my list!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Fired up another bowl of this, this evening. I used by other "smoke anything" pipe, a 6mm balsa filtered Ozark Cherrywood to soften the robust smokiness a little. Again, a 1/4 bowl was enough for one sitting. I didn't realise i'd become such a lightweight :D

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'll be honest, I've finding this a little too robust for my (current) taste this time round. This evening, I rubbed some out and mixed it 50/50 with some Kendal Gold Cherry and Vanilla, and am enjoying it a lot more. It still packs a punch, and I set the pipe down after half a bowl (Ozark Cherrywood), but it's dropped it down to a nice level for me, and eased the robust flavour down to a very pleasant level.

Top Bottom