What's new

"Cold shaving" to help razor bumps

Well, not really a descriptive title, as I wasn't sure exactly what to call it. My basic idea is that all the pre-shave prep (shower & hot towel) to heat up and soften the whiskers also has the side effect of heating up and swelling up the skin of the face a bit. Now this ends up getting you a closer shave, as the whiskers are softened and easier to cut, and also you cut the whisker at the swelled skin line, then as the skin cools and shrinks the hair goes slightly under the skin line. This is what gives that BBS feel - have you noticed how your shave is a little bit closer AFTER rinsing with cold water and giving a few minutes for the face to cool off and de-swell a bit?

I am a razor bump sufferer - curly and thick facial hair - and as such I do not want to leave cut hairs under the skin line. This is what leads to ingrowns and razor bumps. So my idea was to skip all of this pre-shave hot water treatments to try to keep the face swelling to a minimum. I want to get the closest shave possible without causing the hair to slip under the skin. In this experiment, I've been creating my lather with hot water as usual. I then use a hot washcloth to wet my face and stand the whiskers up a little bit before applying the lather. Then I'll let the lather sit on my face for a few minutes while doing a little cleanup to soften the whiskers. Then I will shave as usual - 2-3 passes WTG, rinse with hot water, rinse with cold water, after shave, and razor bump treatment.

Now the results! I haven't had a face this free of red bumps since puberty :biggrin: I've been at this for about 2 weeks now, shaving every day, and my face is completely free of bumps. Completely. And I have light skin, so its easy to detect any red bumps or blemishes. Before this, I was generally shaving after a hot shower with some KMF cream during the shower for a prep, then using a hot towel on the face while soaking the brush. This was my technique when I first switched to the DE, and the use of a DE with quality products did wonders to reduce bumps. However, they weren't quite gone, and I had a few breakouts from going to close a few times. I see this modification as the last step that got me "over the hump". As far as equipment, I use a merkur open comb barber pole HD or gillette slim with Derby or IP blades and taylor's avocado cream or mama bear sandalwood vanilla soap.

Basically I see it as a tradeoff: the shave will be slightly less close (but still more than presentable, and feels completely smooth with the grain). Also since the whiskers may be a bit stiffer, the blades may not last quite as long (although I toss them after 4 shaves no matter what, and have not noticed any difference).

So I've had some success with this method. I know I've run into a lot of frustrations trying to control razor bumps, and I can say this is the best they've ever been for me. I get more than presentable shaves with no irritation whatsoever, and most importantly no bumps. Anyone suffering from razor bumps may want to give this a try!

When I was in Panama during Operation Just Cause, an old non-comm said that during his tour of Vietnam they always recommended shaving with cold water to avoid breakouts. The combination of extreme humidity, heat plus the hot water and shaving was a disaster for most guy.

In the field, cold water is usually the only type available but then again shaving isn't exactly a high priority for most troops when they're on patrol. Back at a base camp, though, hot water is one of life's few luxuries.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that timdog has discovered hot water is counterproductive to his shave. We all know shaving is possibly the most "YMMV" activity every man does, and I'd bet other guys that have tried everything else could benefit from a cold water prep.

But I'm still happy I don't have to give up the hot water!

Maybe I was a little unclear - I'm not using cold water to shave or prepare the lather, its more skipping the loads of hot water to warm up the face and whiskers at the beginning to avoid that swelling of the face that occurs when you hold a hot towel over your face for a few minutes before shaving or in a hot shower

I use another trick - I prepare myself with hot water, but when shaving I rinse the blade in ice-cold water. I believe it has a similar effect.

If you have suffered from ingrown hairs and cannot get rid of them, the most simple way to get rid of them is to not shave as close. This is a fix that works for anyone. Ingrowns are primarily caused by cutting the hair too close or below the skin....stop this and you stop ingrowns.

That was an interesting read; very well thought-out. I do have one question though, are you planning to try an XTG pass in the future, or is it not worth the hassle?

have you noticed how your shave is a little bit closer AFTER rinsing with cold water and giving a few minutes for the face to cool off and de-swell a bit?

Yes I have! -- this is a good point. I have noticed this. but sort of pushed it to the back of my mind not giving it much thought. Specifically I noticed that once my face has cooled, and I splash cold water to finish, I usually see a place or two I missed. After the main shave, and the cold water splash, it seems I hardly even need cream sometimes, sometimes the cold rinse seems enough to get the remaining hair with no problem.

I understand what you are suggesting: to prep the beard you still need hot water, but one needs to give the skin time to cool to decrease swelling. So there is probably a "sweet spot" or window if you will where the beard still has the benifits of the hot water, but the de-swelling effects of the cool water.

I have heard of some high end barbers who use a series of alternating hot and cold towels.

I have heard this technique is good, can anyone tell me why? How is it better to rinse the blade in ice cold water before using it? I have not noticed much of a difference except in temperature on my skin.

I use another trick - I prepare myself with hot water, but when shaving I rinse the blade in ice-cold water. I believe it has a similar effect.

I use some cross grain action on my cheeks and jaw line, I suppose the next step is to carry that to the neck, moustache, and chin. Fodder for the next round of experimenting!

Top Bottom