What's new

Coconut oil as a pre shave?

I have been given a large jar of virgin coconut oil and am wondering if it's any good as a pre-shave. i also heard it can have a detrimental effect on some types of brushes, if so, which type and what effect?

It does not seem likely it will harm shaving brushes, boar or badger. Coconut oil is good for hair and the scalp so the only problem I see is a build up of oil in the knot preventing the fibres sliding aginst each other thus reducing the lather making ability. That can be resolved by washing the knot every 3 months, say, in a dish washing solution.
Here is a discussion on it; Will Pre-shave Oil Damage a Badger Brush - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/will-pre-shave-oil-damage-a-badger-brush.70967/

I have been given a large jar of virgin coconut oil and am wondering if it's any good as a pre-shave. i also heard it can have a detrimental effect on some types of brushes, if so, which type and what effect?
I shave with just oil and I found coconut oil to not work well. Thick and sticky compared to other oils.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I highly recommend the use of virgin coconut oil as a pre-shave by everyone. I don't use it myself, however I do own a copra plantation in Oriental Mindoro (near Pola).

Or. Mindoro is noted for producing the finest of virgin coconut oil that is cold pressed from copra.

I highly recommend the use of virgin coconut oil as a pre-shave by everyone. I don't use it myself, however I do own a copra plantation in Oriental Mindoro (near Pola).

Or. Mindoro is noted for producing the finest of virgin coconut oil that is cold pressed from copra.
Any pictures of plantation?

I use with very good results as a previous shave a mixture of sunflower oil 90% + olive oil 10%.

In case you want to use coconut oil, I mix it with the sunflower oil.

I let it marinate for two weeks with a kind of clove and 10 sachets of chamomile (Recurtila chamomile)

I apply 5 to 10 drops of the mixture to my face before applying the soap foam. Between each shaving pass.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Any pictures of plantation?
Taken a few years ago.
170613_coconut-Plantation12_kjrosales.jpg

My manager there has since introduced intercropping by planting some tropical fruit trees in between the coconut trees.

I havent tried coconut oil as a preshave but just wanted to chime in because I was watching an Instagram live with the zingari man owner and she said that when coconut oil is used in soaps it can dry the skin. I’m not so sure if this matters if you shave it off and then conduct your post shave routine. But I am going to keep an eye on the ingredient lists of my stuff and see if I agree with the statement.

I have a Taylor of Old Bond Street container into which
I have put pieces of some hand soaps, mostly Dove,
and also some coconut oil. Over time, the oil has been
absorbed by the soap and that is what I shave with.

For myself, the two most important characteristics of shaving soap
or cream are that it should lubricate and also wash off easily.

My Razorock Plissoft brush has no problems with it.

I havent tried coconut oil as a preshave but just wanted to chime in because I was watching an Instagram live with the zingari man owner and she said that when coconut oil is used in soaps it can dry the skin. I’m not so sure if this matters if you shave it off and then conduct your post shave routine. But I am going to keep an eye on the ingredient lists of my stuff and see if I agree with the statement.
Cella has coconut oil and it's not drying so I think this depends. I'm no expert but I've read that saponified coconut oil is drying. However if you add it after the soap is made, it can be very moisturizing.

Cella has coconut oil and it's not drying so I think this depends. I'm no expert but I've read that saponified coconut oil is drying. However if you add it after the soap is made, it can be very moisturizing.

As a fan of all things Cella, this is cool to know!

Top Bottom