What's new

Clubman impressions

Welcome and great post. I have to share a good laugh with you guys. This weekend I ran into the City (Chicago) to see my son son and he's a wet shaver too. He's got a business idea we ran down, talked about his life/girlfriend, etc. He says, hey I need some after shave lotion-let's go to Merz. we head over, and the first thing we pick up is a bottle of Special Reserve, and he said that is definetly what Sex Panther should smell like! next we pick up The Veg ( I never ever smelled it before), and it was overpowering. Clubman was the sweet spot. the best out of this whole story? he went home with a ton of shaving gear!

I am a card carrying member of The Club! I have Pinaud Clubman AS, talc and hair gel. I seem to go for it when I have a special shave and want to go with the fresh from the barbershop feel. I'm not good about describing scents but I totally get the non descript "barbershop" label. To me, I just get a slight citrus & floral powdery fragrance. I also have Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum but I dislike the heavy clove so I cut it 50/50 with Masters BR. I have been chosen by The Veg and I am using a bottle that was my grandfathers and he passed in 1978. I use it sparingly and it holds more nostalgia for me than anything. I recently got some Special Reserve and the jury is still out on that. My wife thinks it smells like an old lady perfume! I told her that the common description is leather, smoke, and spice to which she said "Well maybe an old lady wearing perfume smoking a cigar".

let me preface this comment by saying i have expressed much doubt regarding ethanol based AS. i too just picked up some clubman. tried it about 5 times now. the verdict:

It works. It just works. I am amazed how it does it. the scent is growing on me. I like the sting actually. It is counter intuitive that alcohol based AS would sooth razor burn etc but it does. Today I had my best shave since going DE in october. MWF face lathered with a 620, followed by clubman and a bit of lotion for moisture. BBS or near BBS on about 80% of my face. Still some spots that I missed and or need to work on for comfort vs. closeness.

bottom line:

Clubman works as described. I hereby stand corrected regarding my negative views on alcohol based AS products. Now i want to try Floid, Speick, and some
Myrsol.

It's been many years since I've had a barber actually shave around the ears and back of the neck with a straight razor and use Clubman. I have not seen one shop with a lather machine. It's really a shame. and the fact that it's against the law to use the old style of straight razor, at least here. You can use the disposable bladed straight razors as long as you discard the blade after each use. I had not even thought about Clubman until I saw it on this forum. Now I have most of the Pinaud and Clubman fragrances. I really love them and use them almost daily.

When I first picked up some Clubman I didn't like it at all. I just thought it smelled like citronella mosquito repellant. It has really grown on me. Now I reach for it more often than not.

I love Clubman! I use the talcum powder and hair gel daily, and keep Clubman aftershave and Special Reserve cologne in use regularly. I even have Stirling Clubman in my weeky soap rotation. To me it's the epitomy of Barbershop smell.

Top Bottom