What's new

Closest razor ta a 34C HD?

I'm looking to add another razor to my very small collection (R41, R89 and Futur) and I keep hearing/reading about the capabilities of the 34C HD. I would like something a tad more aggressive/effective than the R89 as I have very thick and coarse facial hair.

The R41 provides nearly always a BBS but is a bit edgy when it comes to nicks...

What is the closest qualitative razor to a HD, the build quality of Merkur isn't always that nice and spot on. Maybe something in stainless steel?

a little more pricey, but the att would be a great razor. i think the M1, but you may find the R1 a good shave. stan told me the R1 would be a good match to a merkur head. my weber had a bummed head, but others report no problems with theirs.

I'm looking to add another razor to my very small collection (R41, R89 and Futur) and I keep hearing/reading about the capabilities of the 34C HD. I would like something a tad more aggressive/effective than the R89 as I have very thick and coarse facial hair.

The R41 provides nearly always a BBS but is a bit edgy when it comes to nicks...

What is the closest qualitative razor to a HD, the build quality of Merkur isn't always that nice and spot on. Maybe something in stainless steel?
If you like the R41 but find it a bit edgy, why don't you try one of the somewhat less aggressive OC's? E.g. a FaTip or an Old Type? Or something more middle of the road, like a New? Quality of the vintage Gillettes far exceeds that of any Merkur. Of course, if you want something new (the build quality of FaTips is sketchy, at best), get an ATT and buy it from the website. Stan gives a 30-day absolute guarantee, and you can exchange the handles and heads til you find the best combo for you (within the 30 days, of course).

If you like the R41 but find it a bit edgy, why don't you try one of the somewhat less aggressive OC's? E.g. a FaTip or an Old Type? Or something more middle of the road, like a New? Quality of the vintage Gillettes far exceeds that of any Merkur. Of course, if you want something new (the build quality of FaTips is sketchy, at best), get an ATT and buy it from the website. Stan gives a 30-day absolute guarantee, and you can exchange the handles and heads til you find the best combo for you (within the 30 days, of course).

Somehow I enjoy the comfort of a safety bar. (when I have some days of growth I can use R41/Futur) I can't seem to find a webshop that has Weber/Ikon/ATT and that ships from within the EU. I don't have good experiences with overseas shipping...

Good online shops in the EU?

The EU part does add a complication, and I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. Maybe some of the more international folks around here can help, and you can send Stan at ATT an email through the ATT website (or a pm through B&B --- he's listed as Stan [the Merkurian Candidate]) to see if he has any bright ideas.

Maybe a Gillette Aristocrat from the 1930s and the 1940s. Or a Gillette NEW from the 1930s?

It may be time to expand into a SE razor: How about a Gem OC or Clog Pruf? Or a Schick Injector Type G? Or one of the 1912 SEs?

If you want a 34C, why not just get a 34C? Mine has great fit and finish. People have recommended Weber, and its a nice razor to be sure, if you get one that doesn't exhibit a wavy blade or a warped top cap. If you're worried about fit and finish, and you don't want to deal with the hassles of possibly returning a defective razor, why not try an Above the Tie R1? It's pretty pricey, but I have yet to read of even a single complaint regarding fit and finish.

Executive Shaving also sells stainless and has the full ATT range. http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/ Good chaps to deal with too.

Webers are only available from their Amazon web store, however I'd echo Foyle's concern about the fit and finish. I'm on my third Weber, none were straight, and the one I have now only is because I sanded it until it was.

I had to sand my Weber baseplate rails too. A decent razor, but somewhat over-hyped imo. The best part of it is the Bulldog handle.

Is the ATT R1 similar to the 34C? Very nice suggestions, thanks!

The Merkur 34C (and other Merkur solid bar models) and ATTs were not directly compared in the recent aggressiveness polls, but there are some indirectly related polls that I think can be extrapolated from:

But again, YMMV. Every poll in the list has shavers who disagree with the overall consensus.

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:
For me the ATT R1 is quite a bit more aggressive than the Merkur 34. I'm going to agree with Shawn and the polls that the M1 would be closest.

Top Bottom