What's new

Cleaning Knurling on old razors.

Hey guys looking for some advice. Need some tips and tricks on cleaning knurling on safety razors. Got a Gillette slim pretty dang dirty on the handle still even after repeated scrubbings. A tooth brush just wont cut it. Can anyone recommend a brass bristle brush that has worked for them?

I think getting one of those will help a bunch. Thanks!

Brass brushes are excellent for this, but make damned SURE that it's really, truly a brass bristle brush before you start scrubbing your knurling with it. I got mine at a local hardware store for something like $3 - $4. It's one of the best purchases I've made as far as razor restoration tools go.

I've done it with toothpicks, but it reminded my of Tim Robbins digging a hole in the wall in "The Shawshank Redemption".

I've used toothpicks to date too - but it is hard work.

Do brass brushes REALLY not impact the plating at all?

I've done it with toothpicks, but it reminded my of Tim Robbins digging a hole in the wall in "The Shawshank Redemption".

Toothpicks are the reason I came on here seeking questions. Tedious as all get out.

I'll pick up a brass bristle brush today and give it a go tonight. Thanks guys.

Short, fine, stiff bristles work best so you can make short effective swipes. Don't get run-of-the-mill kind you see at auto parts shops, they tend to be a thicker gauge brass wire that will not get down into the knurling you want to clean. Longer bristles will tend to fold over making them useless if you get too froggy with the pressure.

I've used toothpicks to date too - but it is hard work.

Do brass brushes REALLY not impact the plating at all?

Nickel plating is wonderful stuff. But you got to be smart with a brass bristle brush - only nickel. Probably chrome too, but I don't have that many chrome plated razors that need that kind of cleaning.

-jim

Top Bottom