What's new

Classic aftershave scents

So i was watching the latest video by one of my favourite youtube shavers, Mr.PaulH, and he used the Aqua Velva musk aftershave. He obviously enjoyed it and commented how it is among the classic aftershave scents that take you back, along with Brut and Old Spice to name a few.

I like to think i have a pretty expansive aftershave collection, with a good mix of classic and modern ones. Among the classics, i have every aqua velva aftershave, Old Spice, Brut and Pinaud Clubman.

I want to get a hold of more of such ‘classic’ scents. I suppose it’s tough to nail down the feel of a scent, so i think it would be easier to go by how long a scent has been around. No? I’m 34, and I’m looking for scents that were common when my dad was young or earlier, so pretty much anything pre 1980s.

So, my question is, which one of these classic old school scents do you have? Also, can you specify when they originally hit the market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I like Yardley - Black Label (1967), Gold (1983), and Gentleman. The Fragrantica website can offer a lot more information on dates. I use vintage Shulton Old Spice and decant it into my oldest porcelain Shulton bottles - with the ship above the name, and also into one of 3 1977 Jubilee bottles I own, the other 2 of which are unopened. My favourite is vintage Faberge Brut released in 1964 and I especially like the version before it became Brut 33 in 1968 with 33% of the perfume. This is becoming expensive and hard to find in the UK. Later on Brut 33 was again rebranded simply as Brut still made by Faberge and today you have the modern formulation. There is a vast difference between them and the late 60s pre Brut 33 version is an incredible experience. It is a combination of the scent but more importantly the memories the scent invokes which I love. I close my eyes, the years roll away and I am a child again sitting with my Dad. My wife hates it so I rarely wear it now but when I do, I love it. I find scents so weak these days that I use only EDT or EDC after shaving which is great as I love the burn! I love Tabac EDC (the EDT is awful), Aramis, Polo Green, Drakkar Noir, and Givenchy Gentleman. Again the vintage bottles are far superior to any you can buy today due to reformulations and cost cutting.

Mennen Skin Bracer
Mennen Afta
Speick aftershave
Proraso Green
Pitralon (German)
Pitralon (Swiss)
Alt-Innsbruck
Alpa Windsor (Czech)
Vetiver by Guerlain

Old Spice
Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Bay Rum
English Leather
Canoe
Pretty much anything from Pinaud
Pretty much anything from TOBS, Truefitt & Hill or Trumper.

Great list above! :a29: :a29:

I would also add: Floid (especially vigoroso and genuine) as well as some newer options from Fine (especially American blend which to me is ‘barbershop’) as well as Stirling (especially Baker St.)

Has anyone had experience with the 007 Aftershave? Any thoughts?

^^^^Great lists above!!

Plus just about any of the Myrsols!!

Oh, yes, and Cella!!

myrsols.jpg

cella ever ready rahal june 1 2019.jpg

Has anyone tried that WCS Gatsby V2 after shave? The way they describe it, it sounds like it aims for a “classic” scent. Curious if it succeeds.

That Fine “American” sounds interesting, too.

I use A.V. Musk,but if you read the label it’s an aftershave/cologne. Best used as a ‘weekend’
scent. I would consider it a little strong for work. If your’e looking for a ‘scent’ then what
you really want would be a cologne. Remember, the right product for the situation.

Top Bottom